Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a computer for my girlfriend, she plays ps4 and she seems like she wants to play pc games with me cause im playing/talking to her about league of legends, skyrims new mods (i Showed her whiterun with mods non vanilla and she lost her ****) so shes obviously interested to play pc. But she does not have a gaming pc. She has a 600 laptop that dose not even have a gpu just a nice intel cpu. FOR 600!! i hate that stuff. I would want her to sell it but she uses it a lot for college.
So I was thinking I should surprise her with a build pc. with keyboard and mouse. I already have spare parts from parents upgrade a Rosewill case, 430W power supply 1TB 64Mb cash 7200RMP hard drive. I need help on the cpu graphics card and ram. As of right now what used amd cpus are for a good price. Looking to buy everything used. Budget is $200. This is just to get her rolling into Pc.... dont wanna spend no more than $200 and lower is much better. She has a 1080p monitor as well. Oh! and i also have a universal cpu cooler for the build as well.

PARTS HAVE

Rosewill case
430w power supply
cpu cooler
Hard drive.

·
AMD Overclocker
6,277 Posts
I would probably say one of the A88X FM2+ motherboards paired with an Athlon 860K and a r7-265 or something similar in the graphics department.

Or you could go the A10-7850K + r7-250X hybrid crossfire route. Both of those will deliver fairly impressive results for little money.

·
Top kek
3,578 Posts

·
AMD Overclocker
6,277 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

i wouldn't go for old stuff like that. It really can't compete any more.

As myself and the poster above me have recommended decentish FM2+ board plus an APU will be head and shoulders better than an old Phenom or Athlon 2.
Oh okay. Well as long as it can run league of legends and skyrim with a few mods. 20 at the most. At 1080p.

·
AMD Overclocker
6,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mralternation View Post

Quote:

i wouldn't go for old stuff like that. It really can't compete any more.

As myself and the poster above me have recommended decentish FM2+ board plus an APU will be head and shoulders better than an old Phenom or Athlon 2.
Oh okay. Well as long as it can run league of legends and skyrim with a few mods. 20 at the most. At 1080p.
an APU will do fine for things like dota Nd lol For skyrim a dedicated card what you will want though. If you can find something decent on a used site then I would go that way as it will help keep costs down. I bought my 6850's that I recently retired on a used site and they were already a year old. And I ran them for four years in top of that. A good investment for little money I think.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

an APU will do fine for things like that. For skyrim a dedicated card what you will want though. If you can find something decent on a used site then I would go that way as it will help keep costs down. I bought my 6850's that I recently retired on a used site and they were already a year old. And I ran them for four years in top of that. A good investment for little money I think.
Yeah cause shes gonna wanna play skyrim. And i was looking into a gtx 760 for the same price as a 660 About $105 I think im going to buy that first tomorrow.

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Quote:

Graphics card?
That is an APU, it has a mid-range graphics card integrated.

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Quote:

1080P 23in
My advice is use the APU, play on lower settings for a while, and save for a decent GPU
smile.gif

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,512 Posts
Check my sig:

Bought Used Phenom II x6 1090t for 100 euro (2 years ago)
New Asus Mainboard - 100 euro
Bought used R9-290x - 250 euro
Reused ram from my original system (ok that RAM hit my pocket hard back in 2011)

Dont count the crazy disk raid
smile.gif
Replace it with any normal SSD.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i did some pretty extensive testing comparing my old 955 vs my new 8320e, if u can get a hi over clock on an old x4 amd am3 cpu go 4 it if the price is right as the motherboard will be upgradable 2 an 8 core later. in dying light my 955 @4.2 was as fast as my 8320e @4.3, dont be scared 2 work with older cpus on a budget and save those $$s for the gpu. in the games that dont get cpu bottlenecked my 960 4gb can run at 100% while overclocked and a decent oc on a old amd quad will get every modern game running at 30+fps. skyrim only uses 2 cores right? might be a good idea 2 get an early start on a skylake duo with some ddr4 and just use the apu untill u can afford the gpu while u get everything set up, that would help keep you in the 430w limit and buy some time untill the benchmarks come out 4 the new energy efficient gpu in the next month or 2

i3 6100T
Gigabyte GA-H110M-H
1 stick of ddr4
thats probably the best 4 skyrim, just enopugh gpu power 2 get the mods installed untill u can afford the gpu

i'd be a bit worried about going the old tech route with a 430w limit, an overclocked phenom x4 can hit near 200w. the build i suggested would leave 300w for gpu.

·
Top kek
3,578 Posts

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts