Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forums and first of all i would like to say hello to everybody. I am not a native english speaker so maybe i'll have some mistakes in the following post. Ok, let's go :
I have a tightened budget for building a gaming rig. (~600$). I was thinking of going to AMD platform because of the costs.Here's what i've been thinking of :

CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 631 Quad Core, 2600MHz, socket FM1
MB : Gigabyte A75M-S2V, socket FM1
GPU : Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD6850, 1024MB, GDDR5, 256bit, HDMI, DVI, PCI-E
HDD : Western Digital Caviar Blue KX, 500GB, 16MB, 7200rpm, SATA 3
PSU : Rasurbo Silent-Power DLP-55.1, 550W (Is this enough power?)
RAM : Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB), DDR3, 1333MHz
Case : Segotep SG-609 Black-Blue

I already own a DVD-RW, keyboard, mouse,monitor and W7 x64 Ultimate.
For other informations regarding the CPU + GPU i used this website : http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ and AMD x4 631CPU and ATI HD6850 are the best value components in their opinion.

If you have better configurations (in this price 600$), please advise. I am no Intel/AMD, ATI/nVidia fanboy, what interests me most is the cost. Keep in mind that in my country the currency for $ is 1$ = 3 local curency.
Thank you
smile.gif

·
Registered
247 Posts
Doesn't look to bad for a budget gaming PC, also are you willing to spend over $600 or is that your limit? Your PSU should give you enough power and have enough left over.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Wait...so I'm confused on the currency but which country are you in?

I would try to get up to a Phenom II if possible because it will handle games much better. I wouldn't go with that power supply either because it will not be pretty if it surges but that will be enough power for the CPU and GPU. I would try to bump it up to 8gb of ram if possible because that seems to be the new standard. The mother board will change once I figure out what currency I'm dealing with and I'll throw something together on newegg or something.
smile.gif
Hope this helps a bit.

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,888 Posts
Looks like he is shopping from a Romanian site. So I am guessing somewhere in the Romania area.

OP, no chance of a slightly larger budget? What games will you be playing now or in the near future?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glinux View Post

I would try to get up to a Phenom II if possible because it will handle games much better.
I agree. Also, you should be able to get over 3 GHz without too big of a cost hit.

One neat little trick if you're on a budget is to buy a triple core processor & 'unlock' to a four core. This doesn't always work, but if it does you get a 4x at a great price. If it doesn't, meh, you still got a 3x which is good. Just make sure your motherboard has a core unlocker feature. A nice budget gaming motherboard with a core unlocker feature is the ASRock M3A770DE (I use this in my rig). On Newegg it's even cheaper than the Gigabyte A75M-S2V you listed above.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post

I agree. Also, you should be able to get over 3 GHz without too big of a cost hit.
One neat little trick if you're on a budget is to buy a triple core processor & 'unlock' to a four core. This doesn't always work, but if it does you get a 4x at a great price. If it doesn't, meh, you still got a 3x which is good. Just make sure your motherboard has a core unlocker feature. A nice budget gaming motherboard with a core unlocker feature is the ASRock M3A770DE (I use this in my rig). On Newegg it's even cheaper than the Gigabyte A75M-S2V you listed above.
Completely agree with this. AMD builds their higher chips and if it doesn't work then they turn off one of the cores and sell it as the lower chip. So, in theory you could buy a 3 core processor and get a 4 core because it's the same thing with one core turned off.
smile.gif
For budget people this kind of thing is genius.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Silver View Post

Looks like he is shopping from a Romanian site. So I am guessing somewhere in the Romania area.
OP, no chance of a slightly larger budget? What games will you be playing now or in the near future?
Yes i am from Romania. For 1$ = 3 Lei

This is the website i use for shopping : http://www.emag.ro/

I don't know if it helps you
smile.gif
but you can use Google Chrome's built in translater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post

I could go with the GA-A75M-S2V because it's not to expensive about 15$ more.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
The Athlon II x4 631, which is really something I'd only recommend if you overclock (that's where the awesomeness of this chip comes in), is not really a good buy anymore if you're pairing it with a motherboard that has a bare 4+1 power phase circuitry and isn't really designed to overclock...

If you do need 4 cores though, I usually recommend you ensure it and buy 4 cores if you can at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I plan to play Crysis 2, Fallout 3, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, World of Warcraft, NFS The Run... so i want to know if this is a good config for at least playing @medium-high settings.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
yeah listen to xd_1771, If your mother board isn't rated for that much wattage it can fry your mother board or even worse catch fire. i fired 3 MSi boards in a row due to a crummy 4+1 design and a quad core.

if going socket FM1 get an ASUS board and black edition Llano since it is basically a phenom 2

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If i don't plan to overclock my PC, this motherboard "Gigabyte A75M-S2V, socket FM1" is ok?

LE : I found on a local website an offer for a PC already built, it's cheaper with 35$ then my config and it has the following components :

CPU : AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz
MB : Asus M5A78L-M LX with Chipset AMD 760G
GPU : Powercolor Radeon HD6750 1GB/128 bits
RAM : Kingston HyperX Blu [email protected]
HDD : Samsung SpinPoint F3 500 GB,7200 rpm,16MB
DVD-RW
Sound 7.1
Case : Segotep SG-631R red Middle Tower
PSU : Nox Urano 450W

Do you think it's better than the system i configured?

"CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 631 Quad Core, 2600MHz, socket FM1
MB : Gigabyte A75M-S2V, socket FM1
GPU : Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD6850, 1024MB, GDDR5, 256bit, HDMI, DVI, PCI-E
PSU : Rasurbo Silent-Power DLP-55.1, 550W (Is this enough power?)
RAM : Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB), DDR3, 1333MHz
Case : Segotep SG-609 Black-Blue"

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
FX-4100 + HD 6750 should outperform the APU setup never mind the 6850 with the APU setup should outperform the 6750 in the FX setup.

By the way, you should look for a quality, brand name PSU with good 12V rail amp ratings and efficiency.

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
The Bulldozer CPU is more or less on par with the Athlon on gaming, maybe a bit ahead. But the HD6850 simply destroys the 6750.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found another local shop, but this time it's Intel platform, what do you think? AMD x4 II 631 or Intel i3 [email protected] ?

CPU : Intel Core i3 550 3.2GHz
MB : Asus P7H55-M
RAM : Dual Channel Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB), DDR3, 9-9-9-24, 1600MHz
GPU : Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD6850, 1024MB, GDDR5, 256biti, HDMI, DVI, PCI-E
PSU : Rasurbo Silent-Power DLP-55.1, 550W (PSU)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hows the weather in Romania?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts