Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I was debating on either staying with AMD or switching to Intel. I have decided to stick with AMD. Mostly for costs reasons but at the same time, I've had an AMD machine since 1995. Although I had a P120Mhz, we'll just ignore that.

My current system is that in my sig. I'll list it anyway..

Current
MSI K9 Neo V1.0
AMD X2 4000+
eVGA 8600GT
Sparkle Power 400W PSU
2Gb of Kingston PC5300
250Gb Seagate HDD SATA

Upgrades
MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum
AMD Phenom 9600 (Perhaps)
eVGA 9800GT 512Mb **BOUGHT**
Sparkle Power 400W PSU(Might upgrade to 600W+)
4GB G-Skill 2x2Gb
500Gb Seagate HDD SATAII + 250Gb HDD SATA

Alight so I'm making some improvments in my board, processor and RAM. Please feel free to comment or suggest. I know the 8600GT isn't modern anymore, nor can it hold a flame to anything. But I will replace in due time. Perhaps next summer.

Thanks, I'll keep this up to date.

·
PC Evangelist
47,372 Posts
8800GS are so cheap right now. Kills the 8600GT.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Don't get the 9600, go for the 9x50 Phenoms. The xx00 Phenoms are the B2 steppings, and they had this TLB errata that could cause random lockups, and the fix disables the L3 cache which could reduce the performance up to 20%. The xx50 Phenoms are the newer B3 steppings that actually get something done... the xx00 series are for those who want the cheapest quad possible, but since you're looking for an actual upgrade I'd recommend an xx50, or if money really matters get an X3 Phenom (8x50) - they beat the Athlons at anything you throw at them and multitask a lot better, and you can be happy for not having a buggy quad. A tri-core Phenom will only lose to the 9600 in scenarios where all 4 cores are effectively used, the L3 cache and other architectural improvements give the xx50 CPUs a clear advantage in most cases, and IMO would be a better choice, even if you have a core less.

However, I personally would get a Deneb, or wait for price drops on the 65nm Phenoms.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes you're right I read about the 9600s having problems. I'll look at the others.

I understand that the 8800s are a good price. But I can get my hands on a 8600GT for $30. I'll replace the 8600 in the near future anyway. Thanks though!

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Updated, Bought a eVGA 9800GT today.

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
By the time you're ready to do your board, CPU, and memory...I'd be looking into the new stuff from AMD (Denab I think?). If you're not going to be upgrading till later this year, early next year....I'd wait for Denab first.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a Christmas build really. I'm not one to buy stuff once it comes out anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts