Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so let me start off by stating the specs of the system that I am working with. The build basically consists of old parts from multiple computers (all were 100% functional before the I combined them to make the new computer).

AMD Athlon 3800+
ASUS M2N MX-SE PLUS
80GB Western Digital HDD (IDE)
1GB DDR2

So, now let me tell you my problem. The DVD drive and the HDD is not being recognized at all in the BIOS. Seeing as both the HDD and optical drive are running on the same IDE cable, the first thought that came to mind was to switch the IDE cable. Well, that didn't work, so now I am thinking that it could possibly be the motherboard that could be broken. I am thinking that I could have accidentally broke it when swapping the case that it was in (such as accidentally knock something with my screwdriver or something).

If anyone has a suggestion to try, or even think they know what is wrong, please lemme know.

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaniaci View Post
Do recall that with IDE drives, they have jumpers that need to be oriented correctly for them to work properly.
There isn't any pins on the drives... Plus, they don't even read at all in the BIOS...

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Then there need to be, probably your problem, one has to be set as master and one as slave. Also, which IDE connector you use for master and slave matters as well. I don't think they can be read in the bios if this isn't set up properly. It has been awhile though.

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaniaci View Post
Then there need to be, probably your problem, one has to be set as master and one as slave. Also, which IDE connector you use for master and slave matters as well. I don't think they can be read in the bios if this isn't set up properly. It has been awhile though.
What do you mean by which IDE connector? I have the end of the cable in the optical drive, the middle part of the IDE cable in the HDD, and the other end in the motherboard... There is only one connector on the motherboard as well for it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
On every IDE hd/dvd/cd rom there are pins that need to be set up to Master/slave. If you dont have them hooked up, the bios will not see them as they will fight for master and cancel each other out. Should have a jumper on one of the pins and need to move one to master and one to slave. If you dont have those jumpers, call a local pc shop, they have some and will prob just let you have some

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
The two connectors that plug into your IDE devices actually matter, I can't remember which way is which, but the middle has to be either slave(or master) and the far end has to be for the master(or slave) drive. A little experimentation can figure it out, but you definitely need jumpers so you can set them as master and slave.

·
Registered
625 Posts
also do not ever use Cable select. Put one master, one slave. try to boot up, if you see both, u r good, if not, swap them on the IDE cable and try again. if that dosnt work. Either both drives are fried OR your MB IDE controller is toast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts