Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Gaming Enthusiast
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Here is the second set of answers from our 20 Questions blog. I am leaving the last 2 blogs (final 10 answers) until after the Hot Chips event. We’ll be unveiling new information there and I am pretty sure that will drive a lot of questions.
Source

• Rep+
Reactions: chemicalfan

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Nice overview of the power consumption and efficiency of bd.

Can't wait for more info

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
2MB L2 cache per core? That sounds nice. I suppose it'll need it if two integer units are sharing the same cache though.

EDIT: Oh wow, he must have just edited the blog because it no longer says "in our 2MB L2...". It now just says "in our L2...".

I can't go back to the page that originally said the 2MB part but I searched for "2mb" in my history in Opera and it found it.

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
That was a typo. Too many blogs at 2:00AM

Sure it was

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Quote:

That was a typo. Too many blogs at 2:00AM

JFAMD we all appreciate your tantalizing information
. I read your posts at anandtech too, such a treat. Can't wait for more information.

If possible, could you share information about single threaded performance, perhaps with some performance ball park figures to K10.5 and current generation intel products? I am also very curious about the specifics of bulldozer power management in comparison to those thuban and magny cores, and also those used by intel turbo technology. Will AMD modules be able to dynamically power down individual integer cores? Whole modules? Or just enter a low clock idle state?

I understand you can't share everything just yet, but if you can provide information about these here, or in a blog update or an interview I would be very interested to read into it

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Quote:

IPC will be higher
Single threaded performance will be higher

That is all we can say at this point.
Fair enough

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Great news!
Since I haven't officially seen it anywhere, I guess this confirms that BD will be on the same platform as current motherboards which = win.
Another great round of Q&A, JF, good job.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Console-hater View Post
What's highest core count you can get with BD on single CPU?
16 by the sounds of things

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Quote:

Server or client?
Server.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Quote:

Only for server.
I know.

This means that companies will potentially save millions by not having to upgrade the motherboards and potentially their entire servers by getting Bulldozer processors.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Server or client?
8 is for "client" use. But I wonder if they are going to offer a low clocked 16 core for a moderate price. 16 cores, 1pci-e 16x slot, a bunch of cheap pci cards; great gaming/folding rig.

·
Banned
5,028 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino View Post
8 is for "client" use. But I wonder if they are going to offer a low clocked 16 core for a moderate price. 16 cores, 1pci-e 16x slot, a bunch of cheap pci cards; great gaming/folding rig.

mostly folding tho.
folding those bigadv units would be much better than intel's HT

8 core bulldozer> '8' core i7
i wonder what bulldozer/bobcat series will be called?
phenom III=bulldozer and athlon III for bobcat?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.