Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Really glad I didnt sell my i7 and motherboard to be bulldozer ready!

I got an AM3 board though which will be useless now......
Might build a cheap server with it lol

Was going to get a 1055T to tide me over knowing that my AM3 board might of been bulldozer compatible. So glad I didnt now!

Will now wait for the upcoming AM3+ goodness

·
Gaming Enthusiast
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by doc2142
View Post

Wth no am3 motherboard support? I knew I should have gotten an i7 so muc for future proof.

I do not see this confirmed anywhere in the article or thread

·
Gaming Enthusiast
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nooooob
View Post

JF at AMD stated that AM3 won't support Bulldozer.

Source?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Too bad... AMD would have done really well by using the same socket, but I guess it's time for AM2+/AM3 to die.

·
Gaming Enthusiast
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Well there goes the only reason I got an X6 ;/

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenottawa View Post
Too bad... AMD would have done really well by using the same socket
If using the same socket meant it would be slower with fewer features and less overclockability, would you still want it?

And you can't say "do both" because that means they would be more expensive and available later than expected.

Sometimes you have to make choices in life.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JF-AMD
View Post

yes, but they are connected via hypertransport so all of the die to die communication happens on package

Just like magny cores correct?

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by doc2142 View Post
Wth no am3 motherboard support? I knew I should have gotten an i7 so muc for future proof.
Yeah, but you can get an AM3+ motherboard and run your CPU...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmanden View Post
Heh, so many "1055T vs i5-750" threads relied on Bulldozer compatibility as an advantage.
Oh well, AM2/3 still had a good run, so I'm sure their new socket will live longer than the new Intel Sandy Bridge sockets.

Can't wait to see what Bulldozer brings to the table. Would love a 16-core CPU, but that'll probably take a while for us mere consumers.

Err...FYI, the 1055T owners can get a good AM3+ motherboard now, then get a Bulldozer later on...It's still better than the "New CPU, new socket" BS Intel is pushing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
Well there goes the only reason I got an X6 ;/
Uh...FYI, from what we've heard the x6 will run on AM3+...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JF-AMD
View Post

If using the same socket meant it would be slower with fewer features and less overclockability, would you still want it?

And you can't say "do both" because that means they would be more expensive and available later than expected.

Sometimes you have to make choices in life.

people are going to be upset... those people who bought AM3 boards on the assumption that bulldozer would be compatible. being able to drop in a am3 processor into a am3+ board isn't terrible though (but for ppl who bought OEM versions of win it will be more costly)

nothing was confirmed though, which is why i am glad i didn't get an AM3/1055

just do us all a favor and ensure that bulldozer rocks our expectations and there won't be any complaints. I am currently 80% sold on buying a few of chips, just waiting for perf numbers/launch dates. If it fails to impress I may just end up buying 1 of the cheaper chips.

from a competitive perspective it would be great to see bulldozer launched before the 10 core nehalem-ex, AND outperform it.

Only time will tell though

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutuz
View Post

Err...FYI, the 1055T owners can get a good AM3+ motherboard now, then get a Bulldozer later on...

Where can you purchase an AM3+ motherboard? And even if you could buy one today, it would only matter to people who are building new systems - i.e. people who bought AM3 to ensure being able to upgrade to Bulldozer are out of luck.

·
phenomenal swag
3,673 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmanden
View Post

Where can you purchase an AM3+ motherboard? And even if you could buy one today, it would only matter to people who are building new systems - i.e. people who bought AM3 to ensure being able to upgrade to Bulldozer are out of luck.

They can still sell their AM3 mobos and put the money toward an AM3+ mobo, no?

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.