Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything was good until Phenom II. I completely know their products. But now, there is just too many of them, and I admit, I wasn't realy following all. I know Intel line completely, every single cpu/architecture, even mobile version(!) and I think that they nameing nomenclature is waaay better tham AMD's. So if somebody can make a little overwiev of those AMD lineup, Trinty, Llano, Bulldozer, Zambezi.... which is newer, which is faster, which saves more energy, with what Intel chip they compare ? etc, etc...

Hope somebody can help, because I am sure I'm not the only one.

P.S. searched a little bit Internet, cannot find any summary of that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well, that sounds like a lot of work. It would probably take an hour to type such a post. It would be better if you had a specific question. Also, what you ask for is really complicated; which is faster etc depends on what you are going to do with it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador SW View Post

Well, that sounds like a lot of work. It would probably take an hour to type such a post. It would be better if you had a specific question. Also, what you ask for is really complicated; which is faster etc depends on what you are going to do with it.
I agree, but I would love to see it if someone were so inclined.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Llano and Trinity are Apu's Which is a Combonation of a Graphics card and a Cpu in One.

Bulldozer Is the Current Processors From AMD

I think Zambezi Is The Core Name Of the Current Cpu's from AMD

There is a new line Of improved bulldozers coming out called Piledriver this is the new revision of bulldozer it features the newest Cores called Piledriver cores which are meant to Increase Performance about 10-15% Over the current Cpu's and will have some power managment tweaks to it also.

·
Banned
7,797 Posts
Sometimes when i have that many questions google is my my friend. Long story short since the phenom II's the only chip worth getting is the Phenom II x6 which have the codename zosma. Zambezi is bulldozer. Those chips were only good for servers. A part from providing a higher IMC they were not really good as gaming rigs. The 8core was a power hog and coming from intel it is all the more. As of now the next best thing, is the awaiting of piledriver,which is a reworking of the bulldozer cpu to increase clock to clock performance. The Llano and trinity are APUs. They are processors which come with integrated graphics. Trinity is the APU newly released with the piledriver cores and Llano are the APUs which came out alongside bulldozer. Hope this helped you more than it might have confused you:D

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uff what an answers !
thumb.gif

So Trinty and Llano are APU's, ok, on which architecture they are build ? Bulldozer ? They are all AM3 supported ?

So Piledriver is just the name of the architecture, same as Bulldozer ? Piledriver is APU or CPU ?
Zamebzi - cpu, apu or name of architecture ? Only AM3+ support ?

@ Conquistador SW I don't need a full detail of that, later when I catch all that I can easily search specific thing/feature for each product, just need to get basics, as you can see I am pretty lost in that
wink.gif

·
Banned
4,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benko View Post

Uff what an answers !
thumb.gif

So Trinty and Llano are APU's, ok, on which architecture they are build ? Bulldozer ? They are all AM3 supported ?
So Piledriver is just the name of the architecture, same as Bulldozer ? Piledriver is APU or CPU ?
Zamebzi - cpu, apu or name of architecture ? Only AM3+ support ?
@ Conquistador SW I don't need a full detail of that, later when I catch all that I can easily search specific thing/feature for each product, just need to get basics, as you can see I am pretty lost in that
wink.gif
Llano has Bulldozer cores and are available on socket FM1

Trinity has Piledriver cores and is based on socket FM2.

Both Llano and Trinity have scaled down Bulldozer/Pildriver cores with less cache and have integrated graphics built into the silicon.

The AM3+ variants of Bulldozer/Piledriver are more powerful.

This should give you more info - http://www.anandtech.com/show/5503/understanding-amds-roadmap-new-direction

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benko View Post

Everything was good until Phenom II. I completely know their products. But now, there is just too many of them, and I admit, I wasn't realy following all. I know Intel line completely, every single cpu/architecture, even mobile version(!) and I think that they nameing nomenclature is waaay better tham AMD's. So if somebody can make a little overwiev of those AMD lineup, Trinty, Llano, Bulldozer, Zambezi.... which is newer, which is faster, which saves more energy, with what Intel chip they compare ? etc, etc...
Hope somebody can help, because I am sure I'm not the only one.
P.S. searched a little bit Internet, cannot find any summary of that.
Ok So after Phenom II AMD split up into two lines, they had APU's and CPU's

Lets start with the CPU's

Bulldozer (codename Zambezi) are quad, hex, and oct-core processors based on a 32nm fab process, some may argue that they are actually a dual tri and quad core, but lets leave it the first way for now. Bulldozer was a flop due to low IPC and high heat and power.

Piledriver (Codename Vishera) are the follow up to Bulldozer with higher IPC and Resonant mesh technology which is rumored to reduce power consumption and heat. Piledriver will be produced on a refined 32nm fab and will also come in quad, hex and Oct core.

Both Bulldozer and Plidriver will be socket AM3+ and utilize the 990fx chipset.

Steamroller and the one after that (can't remember the name) will be FM2 and i am unsure of the chipset.

Now APU's

Llano was the first generation of a technology know as an APU. APU is an all in one chip that combines a processor with a discrete level graphics core. Llano utilized older STARS cores from Phenom II and 6000 series graphics. You were able to hybrid crossfire an APU with a compatible GPU. APU Preformance is highly dependant on Ram Speed

Llano was socket FM1

Trinity is the next generation of APU's utilizing new Piledriver cores and 7000 level graphics. They share many qualities only Llano but with a higher IPC and higher level graphics core

Trinity will be socket FM2

Now as far as preformance goes.

Bulldozer uses more power and heat than phenom II and with lower IPC, also, it severely bottlenecks most high end graphics cards

Piledriver seems to have about a 15% increase in IPC putting them a little bit behind sandy bridge and using less power

Llano is perfect for budget gaming rigs, but i've heard the stars cores are really showing their age. also, you cannot use higher level graphics cards without disabling the onboard GPU kind of defeating the purpose.

Trinity based on laptop samples, has a little less power processing wise than a comparable Intel processor, however makes it up with extremely stron graphics performance making it perfect for a low end gaming machine where CPU power won't be a bottlencek

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
No Problem bro, glad to help

• Rep+
Reactions: benko
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.