Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
A favorite for overclockers around here, and several other places is the DFI series or the ASUS line of boards. I would recommend DFI if you didnt have a question mark for a power supply, and seemingly generic memory in your system specs. those are 2 absolutly CRUCIAL pieces of hardware on a DFI board, ASUS seems to be more memory tolerant. I could also recommend an Epox Board with confidence as I am a huge fan of them and believe they put out a high quality product.

Some boards to look at, based around what you would like to do woudl be:

DFI Lanparty UT
DFI Lanparty UT SLi-D or DR
Epox EP-9NPA+ SLi
Asus A8N Sli Premium

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually Im getting a new job that pays 1300 monthy and the only bill I have to pay now is my insurance bill. Im going to start dumping money into building the highest preformance Rig I can with todays technology. Even though Im not a guru yet, I plan to be one. All Im trying to do is get a price figure in my head. So I know what to be looking for. With that said I am looking for the best AMD Dual Core Mobo out there.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
i started my first build w/ a DFI... and i have to say that there are a LOT of options i have not idea what to do w/... that and i don't have the time to mess w/ it. Not saying you have to, but you may want to find a "starter" OC board rather than one with the vast amounts of options that DFI's always have.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I completely disagree with the people who say don't get a DFI as a first board. It's not like you won't be able to get the computer working... Sure, there'll be options that you won't know how to use, but with some research, anyone can figure them out. Go DFI.

Fanboy out.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Look at the sexy DFI I have for sale. Link in Sig. That sucker will get you going and at the great price to boot! Snag the PSU too and get some great stable power.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
i'd say that an MSI board will suit you just fine for a dual core
i've owned an MSI board for years and have always been able to overclock them very well. If you have an AGP video card, there's a cult of MSI Neo2 freaks over at xtremesystems.org (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=43033)

If you're getting a PCI-E card go w/ the Neo4 board. has many similarities between it and the neo2.

i've had both overclocked really high. and they're simple motherboards if you do some reading on them. but then again, any motherboard you get you need to research on and make sure that you will have an easy time overclocking it.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
i'm not saying not to go DFI, I love the board i have, i'm just saying be prepared to do a lot of searching for what certain things do in the BIOS... www.dfi-street.com has been amaing for that!

·
Old school
14,409 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayHat
View Post

So DFI is by far the best board period correct?

For a new pc, you want socket AM2 or 939? I'd really suggest AM2. Oh and an AM2 DFI board goes for around $100 so that's pretty cheap for a high quality mobo.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You want two processors? You have to get a server/workstation board then. I'd recommend a Tyan. It will probably be difficult to overclock a two processor system because almost all the motherboards aren't designed with overclocking features. Although I could be wrong, simply because I've never owned one or even looked into those high-end systems very much.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Processors have a socket they are compatible with. It doesn't matter how many cores are contained within, so long as it's the right socket.

Dual-processor is not the same as dual-core. Cores are inside the processor. The processor goes in the socket(s) on the motherboard. If a company wanted, they could make a CPU with 500 cores, although they'd have to skimp on the power of such a CPU a lot.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, you have us kinda scratching our heads now.

Do you want dual core? or dual processor?

If it's just dual core you're looking for... Definitely the DFI Expert!

If you want a true dual processor board... please tell us why

1 - 18 of 18 Posts