Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here it is. I have been OCing AMD chips for a long time and a friend wanted me to OC his computer. I am on it right now. Its a GIGABYTE Mobo and a Prescot intell chip. I thought I would be able to go right in and do a modest OC for him in a few min and be done but I cant find anything I was expecting to find. Foe me to help him I need a few pointers from you all.

1. What is the max safe temp for the Prescot chip?

2. what kind of OC can I expect to get with stock air cooling?

3. Where the hell is the multiplier on this MoBo?? I cant find it anywhere. Can you even change the multi???

4. Does GIGABYTE even allow you to change the RAM timeings? I cant find then anywhere in the BIOS.

5. Is the CPU controll frequency the FSB? I assume it is but there is no multi next to it like there would be with an AMD set up so I cant be sure.

There is no Manual because he had this computer built at a shop in South Korea. Thanks for any help guys. The exact MoBo is a 915pin GA-81915P-g(Rev2.0)

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
1) 55-60*, Probably.

2) I'm not sure, what's the model?

3) intel multiplers are locked.

4) Again, not sure. Not familiar with the board.

5) Most likely. You can figure out the multipler by dividing the frquency by the FSB speed.

Hope I helped at least a little.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1) 65 is when it starts throttling, anything under that is fine.

2 & 4) It depends on the model of the board. Not all Intel chipsets are made for clocking, and some will inevitably have some options locked and/or crippled. Club OC has done a review on a similar motherboard. Not the exact model you're looking for, but it might help:
http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/mother...-81915P/p4.htm

3 & 5) Yeah, what Namrac said.

·
Power Squid
9,609 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
first of i have to clarify there is no 915 pin proc...

then..the pressie max temps are generally 65°C but it is advisable that if u want to oc; to make sure the temp is at 40 -45°C max at load...

the intel processor is multiplier locked

for the gigabyte mobo there is already the answer above to bring out advanced bios options..
u can get usually about 300 to 450MHZ oc on air provided ur temp is as mentioned above

·
Power Squid
9,609 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrixMII300

first of i have to clarify there is no 915 pin proc...

I think he might have meant 915P chipset which is one of the lower range Intel chipsets for LGA775. My 915PL is even lower than the 915P but has let me reach a 600MHz overclock so the 915P should perform in a similar way.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I managed to OC it from 2.8ghz to 3.5ghz and stopped there. I didnt stop because of stability though I stopped because the stupid motherboard automaticaly slaps on a higher divider if the RAM goes over 200mhz. It wont let me OC the RAM at all. I will try the ctrl+F1 thing and see if I can manualy change the ram divider.

The CPU is suposed to be 3ghz stock but the MoBo automaticaly underclocked it to 2.8ghz to keep the RAM at 200mhz. When I started to OC the MoBo automatical put a 5:4 divider on the RAM. I OCed the CPU untill the RAM was at 200mhz and I stopped there because I dont want an even lower divider to automatical be put on and have severly underclocked RAM. I will see if I can unlock some RAM options tonight. I am glad my friend bought a GIGABYTE board thereby saving me from ever doing it in the future lol. I will stick with DFI and ASUS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts