Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read multiple articles comparing gtx 600 vs AMD 7900 cards and there's something AMD has which is High Frame latency. This latency supposedly says that frames don't transition smoothly which makes the overall game experience smooth. After reading those articles I thought to myself whats the point of having more FPS if its not smooth (except for having benchmark scores you can brag about:). How come this isn't more of a factor that goes in when people decide Nvidia Vs Amd? I'd like to know what everyone else's opinion on this matter.

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
AMD is already addressing this. Since neither AMD nor NVIDIA will be releasing faster GPUs until close to year end and AMD has the better hardware performance and value... I'd go for AMD unless you really need CUDA.
smile.gif

http://techreport.com/news/24303/new-catalyst-beta-further-boosts-crysis-3-performance

http://techreport.com/review/24218/a-driver-update-to-reduce-radeon-frame-times

http://techreport.com/news/24136/driver-software-to-be-tweaked-to-reduce-radeon-frame-latencies-in-series-of-updates

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I really hope this is indeed something AMD can address with drivers. as it stands "working on it" and "achieving it" haven't quite aligned..though my info could be outdated. The claims of misleading FPS averages in benchmarks, but worse actual gaming experience, are disconcerting, and kinda kill the cost-to-performance claims of AMD. I'd be happy to stick with AMD for my next gpu if they pull it off.

·
100+ fps
2,466 Posts
I went from a 670 to a 7950, and I noticed that its just not as smooth + I get some mad stuttering sometimes..

I think the problem occurred (or got worse) with "the boost" in 12.11. Because i had a 7970 last summer, where i didnt experience this.

I hope AMD will address this ASAP. It's a major drawback. I would prefer lower FPS and no frame latency for sure, but using older drivers results in bad performance in the games I play today, so i havent tried..

No matter what i will return this 7950 (Not because of frame latency, it's a bad OCer, only 1000/1500 max for an Asus 7950 TOP)

I'm thinking of getting a GTX 670 again, one of those very silent cards like DCII / Signature 2. But I also consider Gigabyte 7970 Windforce X3. But I'm worried about this frame latency.. Does not seem AMD take this too seriously
blushsmiley.gif

Oh well..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lass3 View Post

I went from a 670 to a 7950, and I noticed that its just not as smooth + I get some mad stuttering sometimes..

I think the problem occurred (or got worse) with "the boost" in 12.11. Because i had a 7970 last summer, where i didnt experience this.

I hope AMD will address this ASAP. It's a major drawback. I would prefer lower FPS and no frame latency for sure, but using older drivers results in bad performance in the games I play today, so i havent tried..

No matter what i will return this 7950 (Not because of frame latency, it's a bad OCer, only 1000/1500 max for an Asus 7950 TOP)

I'm thinking of getting a GTX 670 again, one of those very silent cards like DCII / Signature 2. But I also consider Gigabyte 7970 Windforce X3. But I'm worried about this frame latency.. Does not seem AMD take this too seriously
blushsmiley.gif

Oh well..
I've heard the catalyst 13.2 drivers fixed a lot of it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts