Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please explain about multiplier's?I have an AMD FX-53 and an ASUS A8V-Deluxe MoBo.I just got my 1st AMD processor after 20 years with Intel.I couldnt ignore the truth any longer!I see that the multiplier is set at 12.{From the factory}Do I raise it,or lower it to OC?Does the bus speed come into play here?Also,is AMD Cupid or CPU-Z more accurate as far as processor speed?.....Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
AMD's CPUID tends to report higher speeds than CPU-z...CPU-z is more in depth though with giving you ram speeds and ratings.

For overclocking your FX-53, you have the ability to do both raising your FSB and your multiplier.

Proper power, cooling, and ram is what you will need to make that fx53 shine more than it already does.

One thing you will want to steer clear from is half multi's.

If you raise your multi's up, raise them by single digits. AMD's (both XP's and Athlon 64's) DO NOT LIKE half multi's, it majorly decreases memory bandwidth.

For instance, at a multiplier of 13.5, you will have less memory bandwidth than you would at a multiplier of 13.

I think the hit you take in clock speed is worth the gain in memory.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I've heard around that while the FXs do have unlocked multis they generally throw a fit when you do change the multiplier. Unfortunately, due to their price, there hasn't been much reporting on overclocking them at all. Just add like .05vcore to it (provided you have good cooling on there, they do run hot) and turn the multi up to 13, and you get an instant FX-55..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

AMD's CPUID tends to report higher speeds than CPU-z...CPU-z is more in depth though with giving you ram speeds and ratings.

For overclocking your FX-53, you have the ability to do both raising your FSB and your multiplier.

Proper power, cooling, and ram is what you will need to make that fx53 shine more than it already does.

One thing you will want to steer clear from is half multi's.

If you raise your multi's up, raise them by single digits. AMD's (both XP's and Athlon 64's) DO NOT LIKE half multi's, it majorly decreases memory bandwidth.

For instance, at a multiplier of 13.5, you will have less memory bandwidth than you would at a multiplier of 13.

I think the hit you take in clock speed is worth the gain in memory.

OK.I raised the multi. up to 13 and the FSB up to 215{raising the FSB up to 215 ALONE gave me 2.6GHz}After I did this and restarted the rig crashed.I mean the second the ASUS BIOS screen came up it crashed....????????.And as far as cooling goes I have the Thermalright XP-120,so she's running cool....And thanks again!

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HawgsHead

OK.I raised the multi. up to 13 and the FSB up to 215{raising the FSB up to 215 ALONE gave me 2.6GHz}After I did this and restarted the rig crashed.I mean the second the ASUS BIOS screen came up it crashed....????????.And as far as cooling goes I have the Thermalright XP-120,so she's running cool....And thanks again!

Try maybe lowering your fsb a litle bit and see if it runs stable... if not then play with the fsb and the multi a little bit to find a stable medium

1 - 5 of 5 Posts