Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently upgraded my system to the FX-55 chip OCZ400 Platnum EL Dual Channel memory, GForce 6800 GT card and GiGabyte's K8NSNXP Mobo. I am looking for some tips on overclocking the system. I know the FX-55 comes unlocked for our enjoyment and am looking of taking full advantage.

Has anyone used this combo yet and done some prliminary testing if so, can you provide me with some of your bios settings in the Ctrl-F1 mode. I am looking for both processor and memory settings.

Maybe someone has a similar setup that might be able to provide input.

As always I thank you in advance for your responses.

AJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I have not seen that thread but I will look for it now.

Thanks for the pointer to the location, and for the warm welcome.

I hope someone out there has a similar setup so I can see their results.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Sheeeit dude, nice system. Like the gen. said, read the how tos and then do some experimenting. Since every system is different there is really no way to tell what your limits will be.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Maybe try to keep the mem timings tight and multi high....you know,you can play around with it allmost forever...I dont see a lot of difference with my rig clocked at 166 by 15 or 200 by 12.5 but with patriot XBL mem I run timings at 2 2 2 5 T1 on both and have run at 2 2 2 3 T1 as well but froze after a while..... with XP-M

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyfbyts
I currently upgraded my system to the FX-55 chip OCZ400 Platnum EL Dual Channel memory, GForce 6800 GT card and GiGabyte's K8NSNXP Mobo. I am looking for some tips on overclocking the system. I know the FX-55 comes unlocked for our enjoyment and am looking of taking full advantage.

Has anyone used this combo yet and done some prliminary testing if so, can you provide me with some of your bios settings in the Ctrl-F1 mode. I am looking for both processor and memory settings.

Maybe someone has a similar setup that might be able to provide input.

As always I thank you in advance for your responses.

AJ

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I've actuallye heard the FX chips to be really picky about their multipliers, esepcially after x15, but I doubt you'll get that high even with water cooling. Overclocking is a simple and realtive process. Simple in that all you have to do is change the FSB, or in your case, the multipliers and the FSB, and relative in that it depends on many factors. Voltages increase stability at higher clock rates but at the same time produce more which can have the opposite effect and cause instability. Good cooling is must, at least an upgraded heatsink, or water cooling or even possibley phase-change for the extreme overclocker. Every chip has it's own flaws and will overclock differently, though it may be safe to say that 2.8GHz would be pretty easy to attain. Overclocking is a trial and error type of procedure, people can give guidelines, but really can't give you exact numbers to run because every system is different and will overclock accordingly. The best advice I can give to you is to change the FSB first and then mess with the multipliers later. Increase the FSB in 5MHz increments until you encounter instability (like it won't boot) then increase the core voltage a small amount (about .025volts each step). Depends on how green you are at this too, if you don't know how to clear CMOS or how to test for stability you might want to put off trying to overclock for a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the great info I have messed with it before and am familiar with the stress tests and clearing cmos. So between the help from the posts and the amd overclocking guide ill keep you posted on my results I havent made the jump to water but have a decent amount of air flow in my case with 6 fans and also purchased a thermaltake quite tower for my cpu. If nothing else it looks like it would cool quite well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts