Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my latest build today to find that my AMD FX 6300 quickly climbs to 60c (and above probably I turned it off at 60c) in BIOS, doing nothing. This was on the first start up so no BIOS settings were changed. I tried resetting BIOS and reseating the heatsink (which is what I figured it was, but I've now reseated it 3 times and applied Artic Silver 5 thermal paste with no change what-so-ever). None of this worked... Within 60 seconds of running it will hit 60c. I also noticed that there was a goop coming out of the side of the CPU (I didn't touch it) but it looked like a shinny liquid between the CPU lid and the PCB part of the chip.

So now for my question, is this a defective chip? Is my chip melting?! (never thought I'd ask that heh)

I'm used to building with i7's so I'm used to heat, but I went with the AMD FX 6300 instead of the 8000 series for this build because I didn't want to get an aftermarket cooler or anything like that, this chip is only supposed to be 95 watts so I figured it would not get quite as hot.

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it!

Setup:
AMD FX 6300 w/ Stock Cooler
MSI 970A-G46
Corsair CX500M PSU
XFX AMD HD 4650

·
Banned
82 Posts

the thermal paste between the cpu pcb and the heat spreader could have melted and the core may not be making a full contact with heat spreader. what coulur was that substance that was leaking out?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epkoc View Post

the thermal paste between the cpu pcb and the heat spreader could have melted and the core may not be making a full contact with heat spreader. what coulur was that substance that was leaking out?
I thought AMD CPUs used soldering instead of thermal paste.

·
Banned
82 Posts
i thought they moved on to thermal paste by now. you could be right.so soldering could of have melted? i had intel caleron d cpu where the thermal paste inside meltedand wasnt making full contact. im not an definitley not an expert so i could be wrong but i have experienced similar issues with intel

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedBullets View Post

I thought AMD CPUs used soldering instead of thermal paste.
They do (I don't think so for APUs... but that isn't the case here). OP, it sounds like you got an defective CPU to me. If you still can, send it back or RMA it to AMD.

You sure that shiny liquid isn't from the Artic Silver 5?
wink.gif

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Quote:

i thought they moved on to thermal paste by now. you could be right.so soldering could of have melted? i had intel caleron d cpu where the thermal paste inside meltedand wasnt making full contact
Uhh no, AMD is on solder. Chips don't get hot enough to melt the solder either.

OP: Have you messed around with any of the voltages in the BIOS? Also if could be a bad reading from the sensors too. What are the temps in windows if you check Realtemp or Coretemp or AIDA64?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

It was a black paste, kinda shiny, looks like the paste in that picture there. It wasn't the thermal paste I put on, it looks quite different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post

Did you switch the lever on the CPU cooler?
Yep the lever was down and it was firmly on the CPU. I could feel that it was collecting heat, after just the 60 seconds it took to get up to 60c it was nearly too hot to touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxPhenom 216 View Post

Uhh no, AMD is on solder. Chips don't get hot enough to melt the solder either.

OP: Have you messed around with any of the voltages in the BIOS? Also if could be a bad reading from the sensors too. What are the temps in windows if you check Realtemp or Coretemp or AIDA64?
Nope, like I said this was the first time I've had it up. I just happened to glance over at the CPU temperature reading in BIOS and it just kept climbing. The BIOS version is adequate to run the FX 6300 I looked that part up. I never got to installing Windows due to how warm it was getting in BIOS.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to box it up and exchange it through Newegg I think. Hopefully the next one will work better...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

That black substance is silicon
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Great... Well I'm probably just going to RMA it through Newegg. See what happens I guess. Hopefully the next one will work better. Thanks
tongue.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts