Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Random Eventer
2,548 Posts
What is the purpose of the build and do you need to buy the other components?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have just about everything except the mobo and the cpu!, and it will be mostly for games

i already have a great gpu too

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
The 6300 gets my vote, I just can't recommend a dual core in 2016.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It really depends on the game. I'd say with that GPU, as long as it sees full usage, you won't have anything to worry about.

·
Random Eventer
2,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernsonicfan View Post

i have just about everything except the mobo and the cpu!, and it will be mostly for games

i already have a great gpu too
if you get a decent mobo you can OC the CPU, and also have the possibility of getting a better one in the future.
what's the budget on the CPU and mobo?
can you be more specific on the games you're going to play?

if the games you play aren't that CPU intensive then I'd almost say the g3258.

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
What GPU are you using? If it's that 7850 then I have benchmarks in my sig of a 6300/950. The 950 is just a little more powerful then a 7850 from my experience with them.

I'd go with a 6300 over a G3258. Though I'd go i3 over a 6300.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye12977 View Post

if you get a decent mobo you can OC the CPU, and also have the possibility of getting a better one in the future.
This. Don't skimp on the mobo and get your OC on...
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
799 Posts
Another vote for the FX-6300....

Dual cores are dead past these days, unless you play just old games and wants to suffer in Web browsing and desktop usage.

Good Luck !

thumb.gif

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Between those two the FX 6300 is going to be the better choice. The G3258 even though capable, will be hard pressed to run many newer games without stutter.

However, you should be able to get an i3 in the same price range, which would take my vote over a FX 6300.

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
Speaking as someone who's got a G3258 in one of her rigs, I'd go with the 6300. The Pentium does well enough with my R9 380, but I only went with it because I had a nice mATX 1150 board handy and because I'll be replacing it with a 4690k after I finish a few outstanding projects. If you're not going to upgrade to another Haswell chip then the 6300 is a better overall choice IMO.

Plus, the Vishies are great fun to overclock and the 6300 scales quite well.

That said, I love the i3 6320 I've got. If you don't mind investing a bit more into the platform, it gives you a better upgrade path than either the 6300 or the G3258, should you find it necessary down the line.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

Between those two the FX 6300 is going to be the better choice. The G3258 even though capable, will be hard pressed to run many newer games without stutter.

However, you should be able to get an i3 in the same price range, which would take my vote over a FX 6300.
thats not a bad idea

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yeah, Skylake i3 will beat FX6300 in most cases. i3-6100 is like $115, about $15 more.

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
Yea, the i3 has hyper threading. Effectively making it a quad core. Not as good as having a true quad core, but, you shouldn't run into issues with some games running on an i3. One benefit however to both a G3258 or i3 is you always have the upgrade path of an i5 or i7.

Though, nothing else considered I'd take a 6300 over a G3258.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Considering you will need a fairly decent motherboard and a CPU cooler for the FX 6300(for overclocking), here is a comparison of the costs.

8GB RAM used in both builds. Also please note, you can easily spend another $20-$30 less on the motherboard in both situations, however the motherboard is more important with the FX 6300 due to OC'ing.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.29 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($85.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $241.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-07 01:42 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: A-Data XPG Z1 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $221.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-07 01:45 EDT-0400

Looking at this, the i3 build is actually cheaper due to not needing a CPU cooler. Without the addition of a CPU cooler with the FX, the price is basically the same.

I see no reason not to go the i3 route at this time, as you also have a viable upgrade path.

·
No.2 in Gaming
1,936 Posts
no mention of apu or Athlon in this conversation?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

Considering you will need a fairly decent motherboard and a CPU cooler for the FX 6300(for overclocking), here is a comparison of the costs.

Looking at this, the i3 build is actually cheaper due to not needing a CPU cooler. Without the addition of a CPU cooler with the FX, the price is basically the same.

I see no reason not to go the i3 route at this time, as you also have a viable upgrade path.
While your arguments are good and detailled, I'd still go for a fx-6300.

I'm a developer and had to work on a core i3 equipped laptop. It was horrible in everyday use, it is indeed very fast if you are running very few softwares, the software will execute fast.

But as soon as you do multiple things on the computer (eclipse, firefox, mails, messenger) it begins to be very, very hard.

Even if single threaded perf isn't here, I'd still go for a 6300 for everyday use. Makes the difference for me. Well it can also be nicely oc'd and make up for the diff in single thread.

Heck with this am3+ board I'd personnaly go for a 8320E.

·
AMD Overclocker
6,277 Posts
A g3258 will simply not be able compete. Newer games like GTAV simply refuse to run on a dual core. And if you get the 125w or the wraith cooler with your 6300 you can also get a nice OC without the need to worry about an aftermarket cooler.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts