1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Here is what I ended up with:
1 x AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 8 Core Processor 3.6GHZ Socket AM3+ 125W Retail Box
1 x Spire Thermax Eclipse II LGA775/1156/1366/AM3 Performance Heatpipe Direct Touch Cooler 120MM Fan
1 x Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 AMD970 ATX AM3+ DDR3 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 USB3.0 CrossFireX Motherboard
2 x Corsair CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 Vengeance 8GB 1X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10-10-10-27 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit
1 x AMD Radeon HD 6950 800MHZ 2GB 5GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2 X DVI HDMI 2 X Mini Display Port
1 x Bitfenix Colossus Venom Edition Black ATX Full Tower Case 7X5.25 1X3.5 7X3.5INT No PS *IR-$20.00*
1 x XFX 750W PRO750W XXX Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 8 *IR-$5.00*
1 x Corsair Nova 2 Series 60GB 2.5IN SATA2 SSD 270MB/S Read 240 MB/S Write

Sadly I didn't do enough research about the AMD processor before I went with it but wow I never thought it would be so sluggish.

Super PI 32M = 20m 13.978s

Can anyone shed some light on what I can do to diagnose why its running so poorly?

Thanks,
Nema

·
Banned
3,190 Posts
thermax ?is this cpu fan .second:ms and amd both have update for this specific cpu.lastly:so basicly the computer main use will be for benchmark?ok then use this test .go to arcsoft.com forum adk that you want to test their stream solution .then do the same with say xsplit .take the most punishing game 4x aa box (to prevent whinning from anybody)as you can see in this test amd is so far ahead you wonder what is going on with intel and nvidia.you just discovered the power of gpgpu computing.wich intel will get in the futur same for nvidia.just make sure to do everything via gpgpu opencl solution and you wont have any slowness

·
FinsUp!
2,227 Posts
I mean, a SuperPi score with any AMD chip much less an FX is not going to be very god, but has nothing to do with "sluggishness".

Is it really slow and sluggish, or are you just looking at that score?

You can start by overclocking, it would appear you are stock given that ~20s is about what that chip scores with Turbo.

Also, why did you buy an 8150 when 8350 is right around the corner?

·
FinsUp!
2,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbaltazar View Post

thermax ?is this cpu fan .second:ms and amd both have update for this specific cpu.lastly:so basicly the computer main use will be for benchmark?ok then use this test .go to arcsoft.com forum adk that you want to test their stream solution .then do the same with say xsplit .take the most punishing game 4x aa box (to prevent whinning from anybody)as you can see in this test amd is so far ahead you wonder what is going on with intel and nvidia.you just discovered the power of gpgpu computing.wich intel will get in the futur same for nvidia.just make sure to do everything via gpgpu opencl solution and you wont have any slowness
Dude, What?

• Rep+
Reactions: mezmenir and eXXon

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
@OP

It doesn't look too out of place, though I don't quite understand how you get 788Mhz (1576) when the REF is 201, but hey. Have you tried the other two DIMM slots on your board?

And man, those memory timings are slow. Probably has a lot to do with Pi calculation as that can be heavily RAM speed dependant.

·
FinsUp!
2,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nematocyst View Post

1. What are your temps like?

2. Have you tried going beyond 4.2ghz?

3. Your timings given the ram speed, are very high(Poor). Vengeance i see.... Eh. Anyways, you can try raising your DRam voltage to 1.65v and try and tighten your timings/raise the frequency.. But i've never played with these sticks and have heard they are not very good.

Let us know.

·
FinsUp!
2,227 Posts
Quote:

If you guys figure the ram's slowing me down, what would you recommend as a replacement?
Dude, you've only posted SuperPi. The weakest link in any Bulldozer chip's arsenal...

I recommend a 3770K.

Your ram really won't make much of a difference other than in synthetics(and slightly).

·
FinsUp!
2,227 Posts
Quote:

Nevermind, looks like i wont be swapping dimm slots
That is most certainly not a Spire Thermax Eclipse II..... What cooler do you have? It doesn't look up to the task for a heavy FX overclock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.