Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
u can try to unlock an X2 555 into an X4... or get an Athlon II X4 if you dont want to risk it.

then a gigabyte/Asus AM3 board. if u want to try to unlock the X2, make sure you get the right board.. im not totally sure on the correct chipset so i wont post it till im sure, someone who has unlocked an X2 could be more help here.

5770 1GB GPU is amazing for budget builds!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert View Post
u can try to unlock an X2 555 into an X4... or get an Athlon II X4 if you dont want to risk it.
This^

If you wanna save $15 and get higher clock speed get an Athlon II X3 440 When it unlocks you'll get a 3.0GHz Quad even at that speed you'll have a screaming fast computer

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
can you unlock an AMD PHenom II X3 into an X4?.

if u can unlock the X3, i would go with it. its $5 more than the X2. if unlocking fails, you get an X3 instead of being stuck with an X2. not all of them will unlock.

right now, except for BC2 and GTA, games only use 2 cores and having the 3rd core to offload the OS onto is pretty much the best you can get. games will take advantage of 4 cores in the future, but for budget builds, X2/X3s are great.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
ok then, i would get the Phenom II X3. its about the same price as the X2 but you get an extra core. unlocking cores is like OCing, some chips are great and some arent. its possible you can unlock more cores, its also possible you cant. this way, if you get the X3 and it fails, you still have 3 cores vs failing to unlock an X2 and being stuck with 2 cores.

anyone know more about the X3 unlocking?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I would personally stick with an AthlonII x4 630. It should easily OC to 3.5, and performance is within 5% of PIIs clock for clock. Oh, and it's $99.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
the Phenom IIs can be up to 20% faster Clock for Clock in games that utilize the L3 cache. they downclocked the Phenom to 2.6ghz to match the Athlon II. most of the time, the athlon was within 10% of the phenom, but when L3 cache was needed, the Phenom quickly pulled ahead to a 20% gain. the phenom will also OC further than the Athlon, furthering its lead.

the Phenom will reach higher clocks in the end, therefore substantially outperforming the Athlon II. i would try to get a Phenom if possible.

if your budget wont allow it, the Athlon II X4's are still great CPUs for $99!

·
Registered
11 Posts
i would second on the Phenom IIs, although the the Athlon X4 is a great chip for 99USD, but if you're budget allows it get the PII, match that with the 5770 and you can get some decent fps at 1080p in some games

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
not a fan of Asrock mobos, but somepeople like them, i see you have one..

looks like you picked a good PSU, OCZ makes good budget units.

i like the rig tho

·
Registered
742 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert View Post
not a fan of Asrock mobos, but somepeople like them, i see you have one..

looks like you picked a good PSU, OCZ makes good budget units.

i like the rig tho

They're not the best, but the one I have is a good budget board.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts