Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
New OCN got me like...
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: AMD Game Blog
Quote:
Some of you may remember that AMD FX processors use a unique dual-core module architecture codenamed "Bulldozer", which current versions of Windows® 7 were not specifically architected to utilize. In essence, for those with an AMD FX-8150 Processor, for example, Windows 7 sees the eight available cores and randomly assigns threads to them.

In initial testing of the upcoming Windows 8 operating system, we've seen performance improvements of up to 10% in some applications, when compared to Windows 7. This is because the system correctly recognizes the AMD FX processor architecture and cores. Thanks to close collaboration between Microsoft and AMD, Microsoft recently completed back-porting some of the Windows 8 scheduler code for AMD FX processors into a hotfix for Windows 7.

So if you have an AMD FX processor, here's what you can do to update your version of Windows 7:

1) Download the scheduler update (KB2645594) and install. This will tell the scheduler that your AMD FX processor contains dual-core modules (in fact this is similar to the SMT path that the other guys use). In essence, threads 1-4 now get assigned to their own module first.

2) Download the core parking scheduler update (KB2646060) and install. This will prevent Windows 7 shutting down unused cores prematurely when there are threads to be assigned (there's a performance penalty parking and then un-parking a core).
I also felt that this required a separate "quote" box:
Quote:
The best possible cases for improvement are applications that use ½ cores in your AMD FX processor. In our testing using the AMD FX-8150 processor, we found the best improvement in wPrime, Left 4 Dead 2, and Lost Planet. Below you'll find links to the patches:
Not much of a performance boost, but hey, it's free! I just hope it doesn't cause any instability issues like the last update.

·
13,100 Posts
This will be on my to-do list this weeeknd
biggrin.gif

·
Snow!
1,246 Posts
Like to see how this effects the Crossfire/Sli performance, if it does. To me that was the only thing that let me down with Bulldozer. Wanna go with Tri-fire on my next build coming soon, so hopefully this + Piledriver make me go full AMD XD

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
1-2% ... wow, that's not even worth the bytes on your HDD... hopefully they can get a decent increase out of these abominations. (Why they didn't shrink phenom II's / thubans i'll never know, those things become monsters past 4Ghz)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
So, can we stop hearing the: Wait until there's a patch! It's Windows' fault, not AMD's!

Bulldozer is a disappointment to anyone (including Intel owner's since it won't cause prices to lower) and some people need to admit it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
For those of you who don't like reading or if your wife is about to give birth but you're just doing a quick OCN-check before taking her to the hospital while she's screaming in pain (this of course applies to other medical emergencies as well) :
Quote:
Originally Posted by From the article
Our testing shows that not every application realizes a performance boost. In fact, heavily threaded apps (those designed to use all 8 cores), get little or no uplift from this hotfix - they are already maxing out the processor. In other cases, the uplift averages out to a 1-2 percent uplift. But heck, it is free performance, and this is the scheduler model that will be used in Windows 8 (along with some further enhancements), so why not add it to your list of downloads?
So... up to 10% improvement in Windows 8 they said a few months ago? I doubt those "some further enhancements" will give 8% extra ...
Not impressed to say at the least. Glad I pulled the trigger on SB and took my loss (sold my CH5F which I bought for BD for a measly € 140, I had paid 210 2 months earlier ).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmen View Post

So, can we stop hearing the: Wait until there's a patch! It's Windows' fault, not AMD's!
Bulldozer is a disappointment to anyone (including Intel owner's since it won't cause prices to lower) and some people need to admit it.
Linux performance is much better than Windows 8 / Windows 7 hotfix performance still

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybones5 View Post

Linux performance is much better than Windows 8 / Windows 7 hotfix performance still
That's for every CPU though. Hell my N450 is much better in Linux than in Windows except for power consumption.

I hate to sound like an old person here but BD is a server idea that should not have been made into a consumer chip. Not unless they can magically convince everyone to write software in the way to create the software environment the chip was intended for. That combined with the power usage hurt BD.

·
Banned
3,925 Posts
Now we can fully understand how AMD is 2 years away from Intel.

Those are good processors, indeed, but there are much better out there for the same price.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe View Post

Now we can fully understand how AMD is 2 years away from Intel.
Those are good processors, indeed, but there are much better out there for the same price.
For having to not infringe on someone else's methods/designs yet still use another's instruction set architecture(x86) I guess it's pretty good. Still it's never going to be what it once was or could be if there were multiple instruction set architectures.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post

This is not something that a couple patches can fix. It will be steady and slow updates to the Windows Kernel. If you think Microsoft will do major upgrades to the Windows Kernel, you are crazy! It will be slow and steady patching because one bad patch can ruin your computer.
You are delusional. Seriously, seek help.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.