Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First i want to acknowledge this forum community for the great support to everyone. I have been reading the forums lately, and im impress how people respond to every post, very professional, and respectful.

Now, i just build a computer for my son, and basically i move all the components of my PC, to a new case. I think the airflow is ok. I have 3 fans injecting air, and 2 (including the PS) fan taking out hot air.

Im experiencing random reboots when we play games, and i dont know if is a CPU or VID card heat problem. CPU is an AMD 2200 XP, and using stock HS, i only put Artic 5 to it. And vid card is a 9800 PRO 256. Also, have Enermax 350W PS, and never have problems before.

I install MB monitor, and it shows 45 c (CPU) 38 c (Case) idle. Dont know what is the temp of the vid card, cant check it out. I have latest drivers, vid card, via, etc.

OK, one things is for sure, i only have this issues when weathers is kind of hot, 28 to 30 cels. So i know, is a heat problem, question is, do im close to vid heat problem? or cpu problem?. I read, that normally vid card problems, artifacts may be a syntom, but i dont have any artifact. What are the safe range temp of an AMD CPU? i will try to check the max temp under load, but im pretty sure that is around 60 c.

All comments are welcome, and i will continue troubleshooting my problem.

regards,

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had this problem when my power supply was overloaded. How many drives and cards are in there? How much memory? It would be helpful for everyone if you filled out your system specs in the user control panel.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
#1 welcome
#2 fill out User CP
#3 try updating motherboard drivers
#4 bios updating good too

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the response. Update my info also.

So, this may be more related to CPU heating?

If i add an extra fan directly to the CPU, i guess the FAN have to take air out from the CPU. You guys think that may help, in the time i get a better cpu cooler?

To answer Quintin

I only have one HD and one CD ROM. I never have problems with the load, but you never know, maybe PS is not as good as it was 3 years ago :). Is there anyway i can check how mutch power all components are taking from the PS?

thanks again,

regards,

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Definetly a cpu overheating problem, as others have mentioned 45c is extremely hot for idle. I would recommend a couple things.
Possibly when you moved the components to the new case the CPU heatsink might have been dislodged from it's original contact..
I would recommend trying to reseat the heatsink again making sure it is firmly attached. Scraping off the original thermal compound, cleaning the bottom, and using Artic silver 5 instead would also be a great option ($5)
you shouldn't have to purchase a new cooler, if you are not overclocking then the original stock should be sufficient.
So, try reseating, try a thermal compound, and hopefully this will clear the problem..

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have a friend who has the very same cpu, and it idles at 43C with a proper application of arctic siler and an ok HS. I think XP's just run a little hot as they are in the 180nm range.

·
Registered
349 Posts
30 C is a fairly hot ambient temp... but for the proc to run 15 C higher than ambient at idle sounds abnormal. Check to see what it is running at in the PC Health section of your BIOS.

Also, try a different monitoring program, to see if the the program is indicating the wrong temperature. Please tell us what the idle temp is in the BIOS with your 30 C ambient temp.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, checking from Bios, it says CPU at 42c and case at 37c.

So far, i reinstall from scratch winxp, drivers, etc. I pretty tired right now, so i will continue testing tomorrow. If i still have problem, i will check the CPU HS and maybe put some Artic 5 as tytlyf recommend.

i will update tomorrow.

thanks again,

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Every Athlon XP socket A I built had an idle temp of 42-44 degrees, so this is pretty normal.

I suggest you try running "memtest86" a couple of times, and see if it comes up with errors.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Well, if bios says 42c for the cpu, that's normal...cpu's are usually under 75% load when in the bios....
So from this new info, I'm not sure what could be the problem...could be a power problem, or possibly the air flow is horrible inside the case..?

·
Registered
199 Posts
not to be weird....but i think you may be wrong....60 should not cause a cpu to reset...i live in codl weather and my sis has cpu 62 degrees no problem and a radiator
. I think it may be the graphics card. the radeon 9xxx series have a horrible tendency to heat up. my radoen 9700 had the fan broken and even eith it fixed still very hot. Open your pc and touch your card after half an hour if it is quite hot then it may be graphics card

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sufiankane

not to be weird....but i think you may be wrong....60 should not cause a cpu to reset...i live in codl weather and my sis has cpu 62 degrees no problem and a radiator
. I think it may be the graphics card. the radeon 9xxx series have a horrible tendency to heat up. my radoen 9700 had the fan broken and even eith it fixed still very hot. Open your pc and touch your card after half an hour if it is quite hot then it may be graphics card

Also i know this wont fix the problem but, at least you will know if you are getting accurate temp readings. Have you ever flashed your bios to a diffrent one other that the stock one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, an update

I reinstall Winxp and everything from scratch. I use the same drivers, etc.

And i havent see any problem so far. However, ambient temp is lower, 5c lower than the days i have problems.

If anything else happen, the reinstall could be the answer.

regards,

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
It may have been a O/S corruption but if the reboots were random then it does point to a heat problem .Probably graphics related .If it works fine now great,but if the ambient creeps up again keep an eye on the pc and see what happens

1 - 17 of 17 Posts