Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
The holodeck is a concept that the Star Trek franchise has introduced and spread across the world of science fiction.

Apparently, Advanced Micro Devices fully expects the idea to become reality at some point in the future.

We'll refrain from assuming anything about space travel for now. Even holodecks for sea ships would be a great accomplishment.

That is an opinion that LeVar Burton seems to share, if his enthusiasm during ISSCC is anything to go by.
biggrin.gif
. I hope it's sooner though. 5 cheers for star trek.

Source

·
Terrible at everything
1,155 Posts
Wow... that would be seriously cool.
yessir.gif

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think the projection technology, resolutions and AI tech will make leaps and bounds over the next decade...however, the functionality of a holodeck in that "holoemitters" that control photons (aka creating force shields to mimic matter) is a long way off...we will have to develop shield technology first that envelops an object spherically...then will have to figure out how to control the shape of said field, while being able to touch it...I think that is another century away at least to even have a prototype

I think it'd be more realistic to expect maybe a room filled with remote controlled magnetorheological orbs that will be able to take a number of different shapes (say a table, then a book on said table) with the projection tech and high resolution flexible screens on everything making the room tailored to the environment you program...

and that's just inanimate objects in a normal gravity environment...way beyond that you would need anti-gravity generators/fields for anything that's not resting on something else (say a leaf falling off a tree)...

this is assuming you want the objects to be "real" and not just vapid 3d projections

1 - 3 of 3 Posts