Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This project resulted in a beautiful system that is more than capable of running games at 1080p, and many less demanding titles with VSR to 1440p/4k. However, there are less expensive ways to build a HTPC/gaming machine. An Intel Core i3-6100 (or equivalent) paired with a GTX 960/R9 380X in a Fractal Node 202 would have been more practical for a 1080p Gaming/HTPC. For an ultra compact HTPC (the Antec ISK100 for example), the Intel i7-5775C or A10-7890k paired with a good low profile cooler would also be a good choice. Also, I could've squeezed out a bit more CPU horsepower with an unlocked A10-7890, and a bit more GPU horsepower with a Fury X.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Very nice but I can't reconcile any AMD desktop processors besides Kabini, even a 65 watt variant like a Athlon 845 with ITX boards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd go with Braswell over Kabini. It's true that Kabini offers an upgrade path, but I haven't seen anything new in years. The Athlon 5350 (highest end) and N3150/N3700 have nearly identical performance, but the Braswell chip has built in HVEC decoding and works with 4k playback. Braswell is also a better choice for a NAS or server as it's TDP is around 7-8 watt verus 25 watts with the Athlon. The only advantage I could possibly see with the Athlon 5350 is gaming, but neither chip will produce a great gaming experience.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanx88 View Post

I'd go with Braswell over Kabini. It's true that Kabini offers an upgrade path, but I haven't seen anything new in years. The Athlon 5350 (highest end) and N3150/N3700 have nearly identical performance, but the Braswell chip has built in HVEC decoding and works with 4k playback. Braswell is also a better choice for a NAS or server as it's TDP is around 7-8 watt verus 25 watts with the Athlon. The only advantage I could possibly see with the Athlon 5350 is gaming, but neither chip will produce a great gaming experience.
I have a 5350 with an ITX ASRock board powered by a laptop powerbrick I just use for a file server watching old movies and stuff. I also have a 845 to tinker with in a full ATX board. I actually have given some thought about replacing the Kabini machine with the 845 and an FM2+ ITX board. Your build is good. Just lamenting the fact most decent AMD cpu's aren't really suited for Micro ATX and ITX boards.

• Rep+
Reactions: megamanx88

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually have a similar situation with the Asrock QC5000-ITX/PH, which has an embedded A4-5000 chip (15 watt TDP), and is similar to an Athlon 5150 in performance. I don't think Kabini is a bad choice depending upon the needs of the system. Kabini tends to offer more SATA3 and PCI-e expansion than Braswell, but at some point I'd start looking at LGA1150 and Xeons or an 8-core Atom if I wanted to build something really ludicrous. As far as the Athlons go, with a discrete GPU it doesn't seem to matter if you pick up a Kaveri APU or CPU. The Carrizo CPU seems to perform just as well as its Kaveri counterparts. The Athlon 845 seems to perform just as well as the A10-7850k it replaced.

I really didn't build the system to be practical. Fortunately, it's hooked up to a 60 inch Sony 1080p HDTV, as it lacks HDMI 2.0 and a robust CPU. It's more of a team red showcase. For what I spent, I could've built something with an i7-6700k and 980TI, minus the Lian Li case and custom loop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts