Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me get this straight, it uses the onboard video for desktop and light stuff, and switches to GPU for games right?
Will it work with a 7950gt? Or only with newer AMD cards?

I was looking at the GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H 790GX one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
"This AMD platform technology enhances the user experience by combining an AMD 780 Chipset with integrated graphics and a discrete ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000 Series or ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000 Series GPU so they work co-operatively yet independently of each other to bring enhanced gaming performance."
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: kaivorth

·
Efficiencycionado
Joined
·
5,587 Posts
what?

heck no. it will only work with an hd 3450/3470.

it's only for htpc purposes.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: kaivorth

·
Goodbye
Joined
·
10,269 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivorth View Post
So let me get this straight, it uses the onboard video for desktop and light stuff, and switches to GPU for games right?
Will it work with a 7950gt? Or only with newer AMD cards?

I was looking at the GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H 790GX one
First off, crossfire will never work with an nvidia card. Ever.
And no, it simply crossfires the onboard video with a compatible video card as if you were just running two video cards in crossfire.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow...so it just boosts performance is all? Wow your kidding me. I really don't see the point in that...
Rep+ to the people who helped!

Now is there anything that will do what I described? Use onboard for 2D stuff, and switch to the video card when gaming?
 

·
Goodbye
Joined
·
10,269 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivorth View Post

Now is there anything that will do what I described? Use onboard for 2D stuff, and switch to the video card when gaming?
Why would you want too?

If you have a good video card you could just disable the onboard. But think of it from another angle, you have the motherboard and you can spend $30 for your 3470 and then you can play crysis comfortably on medium running hybrid crossfire.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penicilyn View Post
Why would you want too?

If you have a good video card you could just disable the onboard. But think of it from another angle, you have the motherboard and you can spend $30 for your 3470 and then you can play crysis comfortably on medium running hybrid crossfire.
Well I think Nvidia does this. They use Integrated for 2D purposes, and fires up the powerful stuff for 3D things.
I'm just scheming up ways to save power, without sacraficing to much performance...
 

·
Efficiencycionado
Joined
·
5,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivorth View Post
Wow...so it just boosts performance is all? Wow your kidding me. I really don't see the point in that...
Rep+ to the people who helped!

Now is there anything that will do what I described? Use onboard for 2D stuff, and switch to the video card when gaming?
well that's the main purpose of that. it's just sad to say that it only works for 2400/3450/3470 no other cards will work with it.

now nvidia came up something with hybrid power for 9800gt/x/+, gtx260/280 that allows you to turn off your dedicated videocard and use the onboard graphics when running non 3D-apps.
 

·
Team Red Lobbyist
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
kaiv - I looked into this deeply - gerikoh has it right.... only the crummy cards with the 780 chipset...for example, I got a 4650 with my ne motherboard but couldn't hybrid crossfire it... I would have had to get a 3870 or whatever... which I wasn't going to do.

moved up to 4870, same deal. But your idea on the concept is correct, use onboard for light, GPU for heavy. It's really an updated version of crossfire as someone alluded too.

My prediction - all onboard will be mixable with like series discreet within the next 15 months..both brands are looking to do the same thing, and the AMD, ATI combo looks to perfect it and have a better version to market sooner than Intel/Nvidia.

Just my humble opine...and please don't call me a fanboi. I'm broke with a 10 month old, otherwise I would have the other brands...for the money AMD/ATI can't be beat (which makes me a fanboi, I know).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gah...so can AMD Nvidia boards do the Hybrid SLI? IE: Use an AMD Tri Core and something like a 9800gt with a Nvidia board?
 

·
Efficiencycionado
Joined
·
5,587 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by kaivorth
View Post

Gah...so can AMD Nvidia boards do the Hybrid SLI? IE: Use an AMD Tri Core and something like a 9800gt with a Nvidia board?

yes. geforce 8200/8300 and nforce 720 and above chipsets will support hybrid power.


but there's quite a catch

i've seen some reviews about it and it seemed that there was no difference at all in terms of power consumption. i think it's just for the sake of marketing.
 

·
Efficiencycionado
Joined
·
5,587 Posts
here's what i mean:

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/mainbo...hipset-p2.html

you'll see that in the graph in the mid section of tha page, the 780a in power saving mode does idle with lower watts. then in boost mode, it will have a very high idle and load consumption. while the 790gx only has one mode. i think amd didn't bother coding this hybrid power for their chipsets coz the chipset itself idles low enough that you can't even tell the difference. but just imagine if they did. maybe they did it to save us the hassle but it sure has more potential. i wish amd didn't get lazy doing this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Wasn't the OP after something that switched the integrated graphics off, and dedicated card on, when going in to a game though? The NVidia thing doesn't sound like that from how you guys are describing it.

I was wondering about a similar thing. Surely the intergrated graphics use less power than a dedicated card? You also get the advantage of them being silent, meaning users of high-end cards aren't gonna have a hairdryer next to their desks when they're typing up an email.

Noise and power consumption are putting me off buying a 4870 or 4850 X2. It'd be nice if the integrated graphics could be utilised to solve those issues.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top