Overclock.net banner

which config is best for compatability?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
I doubt it holds water. The biggest thing that affects the cards' performance (apart from the cards' different technologies, of course) appears to be the program code being pumped into it. E.g., nVidia cards running OpenGL based games (i.e. Doom or Quake engines) destroy all competition, but the tables are sometimes turned when running non-OpenGL games.

It would be difficult to test, anyway. To compare a specific hardware component against a competing component, the rest of the system must be 100% identical to eliminate any other possible reasons for noted differences. This is pretty basic testing methodology. Trying to compare different video cards across CPU brands introduces many other places in the system that could be the real difference in benchmarks. Even if your tests did find (for example) that nVidia cards showed a larger performance gap over ATI when tested on an AMD box than on an Intel box, how do you know for sure that it is because of the interraction of the card and CPU? You have a different motherboard, different chipsets, different types of RAM, different FSB speeds, etc. The list of variables simply becomes too large to make a truly informed decision.

159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i base this on the fact that ive had 2 comp my current and my old 1.4 in both i ive had ati and nvidia in both and ive had problems with invidia cards i went though 2 bgf 6800 gt's in 2 days .the gigabyte gt is on the way so like it or not im gonna get it to work .though im still kinda skechy about it in think i should just get the gigabyte x800 xt pe for 70 bucks more . but the pole is to see if it is just me or are their other that have thought this . i really do want to make nvidia work . so im gonna start with a fresh install witch is gonna be a pain backing every thing up

i just had an idea ill keep the 70 bucks and get a sata drive so i really have a clean install

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I have heard that some 6800GT/Ultras refuse to run fast-write or side-band addressing on nVidia chipsets actually, but I think it was driver issue as I haven't heard anything about it recently.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

The poll is missing AMD+ATI, which is my choice

It's also missing Intel/Nvidia, which would be my choice

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash