Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 1349 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help, I've never OC an apu before. Also I do not understand where to find the voltage for cpu and gpu, I assume the cpu voltage is the cpu vcore?

- GB GA-G1.Sniper A88X FM2+ (F7 Bios)

- Team Xtreme 8GB 2400MHZ RAM (2x 4GB)

- H55 Cooler

I've read reviews where ppl are getting 4.7ghz oc on the cpu and over 1ghz gpu clock, but they never post the voltage they are using for both, or the ram settings, they are always missing information somewhere, and noobs like me are left lost and confused. My mb only increases voltage by .06 i think....but it never tells you what the voltage is set at to begin with...

With stock settings, but ram running xmp 2400mhz often I get an error with windows 8.1 "attempted execute of no execute memory"

Thanx for the help!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
First things first you aren't stable. Look up your ram timings and voltage settings and set them manually. XMP is a crapshoot on AMD boards as they are kind of an Intel thing.

Of the 5 of us currently riding the Kaveri bandwagon, I believe I am the only one who was able to set the stock XMP profile of my ram and not have issues.

So manually set your ram to something stable and we can go from there.

I will say there isn't much difference to setting an APU from my limited experience but keep in mind you are with us sailing into fairly unknown territory at this point. Even the best OC'r on here's advice to you at the moment may fail catastrophically.

As an example my Kaveri is absurdly pampered at this point with my custom water cooling set up never allowing it to reach temps beyond 50C no matter the voltage or stress I put on it. That being said even at 1.512 volts if I go a hair over 4.5 GHz it's instant freeze or crash.

Uncharted territory is scary and without reason. So that's why you need to be rock solid stable before you even dream of going any further. So let's get that ram stable first because until then all other concerns while running unstable are a distant secondary.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

changing the timings was easy, but I cant seem to be able to change the ddr voltage. In the pic you can see that field is un- selectable. There is another option for dram voltage in the bios so I attempted to set it to 1.65v to see if that would effect the ddr voltage but it did not.

I think this may be the problem...it seems weird that i can not even run diablo 3 without horrible lag on lowest settings. I could run it before with my dual core richland with the same ram. I cant even run the game at optimized defaults...maybe its a combo of driver and ram issues.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Is there a bios update for your board? Some boards may not have shipped fully "Kaveri" ready if you catch my drift.

Another thing to try maybe booting at 2133mhz on the ram or with one stick of ram to test if one of them is just not working right.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's stable without errors at 2133mhz with the voltage as stock...god GB has the worst bios's ever. I just downloaded the R7 bios they just released it a few days ago, I guess i'll have to wait for another update to know if its the mb or the drivers....does yours run ok?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what is the difference between ddr voltage and dram voltage? maybe i'll contact GB and let them know the bios sucks

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yeah other than the overclocking wall I've hit mine runs fine at XMP profile 1. Like I said though, I think I'm the only one who was able to just plop it in and get a profile to work at 2400Mhz.

Keep in mind I did like immediately update my board to the latest bios it had that had come out on 1/09/14. For what it's worth, when you do get stable, I have a feeling you will likely get a much better overclock than me since I can't seep to get anywhere passed 4.5Ghz.

As far as voltage goes I have no idea, as I only have one setting for Dram voltage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's interesting. It seems the only way I can increase the ram voltage is by loading the xmp profile, then manually adjusting the timings. Problem is however, after doing so it's still not stable. I cant even run chrome without crashing. If I lower the frequency to 2133 then it's stable. The MB and CPU both state that 2133 is max supported without oc, so I'm not sure what they mean by "oc", what exactly needs to be oc to make it stable the cpu?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I'm not the only one having issues. It seems that the ram is only working correctly in Intel systems...still doesn't explain why my richland can play games and kaveri cant

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you have to up the cpu nb voltage to use 2400mhz ram with an apu...i'm going to try that and see what happens. If it explodes i'll be sure to let you know.

·
Banned
9,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himo5 View Post

Here's an 8GBt TridentX 2666/C11 kit set to 2666MHz straight from it's XMP profile, no problems. This may not be so much thanks to Kaveri as to the Asus A88X PRO board, which also behaved like this with a A10-6800K when I first got it. Click on the image to go to the CPU-Z validation.

http://valid.canardpc.com/ll2w6r
Ouch at those timings

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Must just be my MB doesn't support my ram or my ram is just ment to be in an intel system....it's to late to get a refund for the ram so i'll just wait for a bios update and cross my fingers it will work in the future.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Everything good here, currently at 4,3 ghz with 1,392vcore, and 2133 mhz 9-11-10-30 for timings at 1,5v.
Got the iGPU at 800 mhz with only +0,0018v to the base value, which I believe is 1,275 for the NB.

Rock solid, so when I have plenty of time I will continue into higher territories, however I'm a bit afraid because my VRM heatsink is cool, and the CPU is cool, but I can't believe that running close to 1,4v can be that cool, higher like 1,45 or 1,5 must fry the APU at some point.

·
Banned
9,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa666 View Post

Everything good here, currently at 4,3 ghz with 1,392vcore, and 2133 mhz 9-11-10-30 for timings at 1,5v.
Got the iGPU at 800 mhz with only +0,0018v to the base value, which I believe is 1,275 for the NB.

Rock solid, so when I have plenty of time I will continue into higher territories, however I'm a bit afraid because my VRM heatsink is cool, and the CPU is cool, but I can't believe that running close to 1,4v can be that cool, higher like 1,45 or 1,5 must fry the APU at some point.
If you're worried position a fan to blow on the vrms

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a 120MM fan blowing cold intake air straight on the VRM, the VRM ain't the problem, I do simply do not know the limits of the APU itself.

1 - 20 of 1349 Posts