Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've never built an AMD system before but when my father in law approached me about building him a budget system the new Kaveri chip sprang to my mind. I know the iGPU in this thing is the best there is and if I can avoid buying a discreet card then the cost is significantly reduced. This is what I put together on NE, can you guys review it and make any suggestions? I already have a case to put this in (CM690II) and he has a monitor. I think this would be a pretty powerful little budget build especially considering the fact that his monitor's resolution is only 1440x900 and he mostly plays Solitaire!
smile.gif
I tried to get the cheapest QUALITY items in every category:

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions please! Thanks!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
689 Posts
Fast RAM is important for these builds, does he game at all or anything of the like(edit ok, so he plays cards. Got it)? The Kaveri will do everything he needs otherwise. Although if I recall Kaveri isn't priced very well at the moment.

I'll see what I can come up with.

*edit because I missed the answer to my own question*

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you are building a APU system always go with fast RAM if there is a need for performance. I did notice your PSU was a rosewill and the RAM wasn't a highly known brand like Corsair or G.Skill. I would recommend not skimping on a PSU and purchase a 80 Bronze PSU from Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic, etc.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Increasing the quality greatly for a small price increase, I'd stick with the Rosewill PSU myself. Keeping most of your build, just making the below changes.

APU+Motherboard Combo($270) - AMD A10-7850K + ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ FM2+ / FM2 AMD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1570588

RAM($75) - Team Zeus Yellow 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313433

Optical($15 with promo code EMCPGWW37) - LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

Total Price(with changes) - $504 everything has free shipping. Rebates not included, if any.

Team has some very good quality RAM, although "Zeus" RAM is a new line, so I can't speak directly for its quality. You might want to trade up for the tried and true vulcan variety, it's also a bit faster, although this is when diminishing returns start to happen.

RAM($77) - Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313398

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a bunch Alanim! That's definitely a bit stronger of a build with no cost increase so I'll take it!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Thanks a bunch Alanim! That's definitely a bit stronger of a build with no cost increase so I'll take it!
thumb.gif
I made a small edit at the bottom, as I can only attest to the quality of their Vulcan RAM, but not their Zeus RAM(New variety). If you want to spend the extra 2 dollars.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVProgrammer View Post

I did notice your PSU was a rosewill. I would recommend not skimping on a PSU and purchase a 80 Bronze PSU from Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic, etc.
Rosewill Capstone is fine no need to change it its not a bad unit

Also 80 plus has nothing to do with quality nor has brand both Seasonic Antec and Corsair has crappy units

• Rep+
Reactions: Cyro999

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,953 Posts
Capstone (superflower) is very high quality psu.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Majin,

Compare the following to your build, see what you think...

CPU + Memory Combo: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz + G.Skill Ares 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 ($255 @ Newegg)
Faster, higher efficiency CPU and higher quality (lower voltage) memory.

Motherboard + PSU Combo: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H + Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ($127 @ Newegg)
upgrade to modular PSU and comparable quality/feature motherboard.

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Same

Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS324-07 DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Similar

Keyboard+Mouse: Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($23.99 @ Newegg)
Same

Total: $486.40
$15 less.

I've replicated the same part-coverage (no case?) as the original build, and pointed out why Kaveri is [email protected]$185 for most builds.

The only time Kaveri is faster than the i5 is in specialized workloads. I don't believe you have described the sort of user who will gain anything from going Kaveri vs Haswell. Haswell has a very competent iGPU (excessive for browsing the web and playing cards, even has a very powerful hardware video decoder, one of the best available in ANY GPU in fact). I expect this Haswell will be faster and quieter while using less power than Kaveri for this type of build. Consider dropping to the i3-4130 to save ~$80.

AMD budget class stuff is really better suited to performance tuners and enthusiasts who are going to deviate from stock settings for the novelty of performance tuning. I have a hard time recommending AMD budget class stuff unless it is going to be performance tuned.

·
Banned
3,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdocod View Post

Majin,

Compare the following to your build, see what you think...

CPU + Memory Combo: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz + G.Skill Ares 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 ($255 @ Newegg)
Faster, higher efficiency CPU and higher quality (lower voltage) memory.

Motherboard + PSU Combo: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H + Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ($127 @ Newegg)
upgrade to modular PSU and comparable quality/feature motherboard.

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Same

Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS324-07 DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Similar

Keyboard+Mouse: Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($23.99 @ Newegg)
Same

Total: $486.40
$15 less.

I've replicated the same part-coverage (no case?) as the original build, and pointed out why Kaveri is [email protected]$185 for most builds.

The only time Kaveri is faster than the i5 is in specialized workloads. I don't believe you have described the sort of user who will gain anything from going Kaveri vs Haswell. Haswell has a very competent iGPU (excessive for browsing the web and playing cards, even has a very powerful hardware video decoder, one of the best available in ANY GPU in fact). I expect this Haswell will be faster and quieter while using less power than Kaveri for this type of build. Consider dropping to the i3-4130 to save ~$80.

AMD budget class stuff is really better suited to performance tuners and enthusiasts who are going to deviate from stock settings for the novelty of performance tuning. I have a hard time recommending AMD budget class stuff unless it is going to be performance tuned.
Kaveri is configurable to lower tdp so saving power is available on kaveri. Honestly it comes down to personal choice and no amount of fandom makes either better than the other.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

And the case is?
I have a Cooler Master CM690II to put everything in.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durquavian View Post

Kaveri is configurable to lower tdp so saving power is available on kaveri.
The i5-4440 is STILL more efficient than the 45W clamped mode of Kaveri.

http://techreport.com/review/25908/amd-a8-7600-kaveri-processor-reviewed/12

The power consumption of the i5-4440 would fall between the i3 and i7 in this particular test, placing it smack on the same power consumption range as the Kaveri chip in "45W mode." Except, it would complete most jobs in less time, resulting in more time idling, which it also appears to do better. Yes, there is such a thing as "better."
Quote:
Honestly it comes down to personal choice and no amount of fandom makes either better than the other.
Fandom has nothing to do with it.

We have the ability to discern value, and pass judgement. I can clearly identify that "thing A" is a better material solution than "thing B" for a given problem. Choice or preference does not nullify this judgement. (evidence to the contrary would).

If it comes down to personal choice, why ask for advise in the first place? The whole PURPOSE of reaching out to people in a thread like this, is to gather insight from other peoples discernments. If one still chooses a solution based on a novelty, or a brand preference, or some other reason, that is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
im curious,

wouldnt it be just cheaper to buy a PC thats on sale for $300-$400 ??

that way you dont have to pay for the OS also.

·
Premium Member
10,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMKR View Post

thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

good enough reason for me
biggrin.gif
Yea, cheaped out case, mobo, psu etc meant to be sold to those who don't know any better - but building+oc fun is important too
biggrin.gif

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The other reason I want to build him one instead of buying a store bought PC is that he will be able to upgrade it later on rather than having to just buy another PC...

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, mdocod talked me into going with an Intel build as my father in law is unlikely to play anything more intensive than Solitaire so the AMD's IGP advantage is really moot. This is what I've come up with instead and I also filled it out into a full build just to see a worst case scenario (including mouse/KB, monitor and a case). Let me know what you think!

Seems to be a pretty powerful little system for $765 including a quad core Intel Core i5 and 8GB memory. I have a case as I mentioned in the OP but I'd really rather use that Prodigy as it would fit his smallish desk much better.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts