Overclock.net banner

AMD Lan box

1324 Views 33 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Luda
I am looking to build a small lanbox to take to local lans [my sig rig is getting way to heavy to lug all over the place] so i will be using my 19" monitor, and my keyboard/mouse/N52te off my main rig, and getting a HD monitor for my main rig to replace that damn 19".

Ease of portability, and the ability to max out modern games [COD4/5, UT3, Source engine games, etc], and not cost an arm and a leg [aiming for 750$ + s/h]

Heres what im looking at:

Thermal Take Lanbox - 129.99
This meets the need for portability, and ive seen a few modded for W/C, which i will be looking into since lan rooms tend to be a bit warm, and to minimize the impact of poor airflow

Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P - 109.99
Good feature list, good price, it fits the build. updated to the gigabyte board to reflect the new proc and the better build quality of the gigebyte.

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHZ - 147.00
i want to go quad core to extend the life of this lanbox, while this X3 isnt going to be as powerful as my sig rig's Q9550, it will be purely for medium res gaming. After some advice and more research swapped the 9600 with the 720 the reviews/test/benchmarks are showing it out performing its quad core cousin, and its a little bit cooler.

Sapphire Radeon 4850x2 1GB - 249.99
Seems to be the most powerful card i can cram into that case, without going up to the 400$+ price range, and it should allow for a monitor upgrade down the road.

G.Skill 4GB DDR21066 - 64.99[2x2GB]

OCZ Fatality 550W - 79.99
has the appropriate connectors for the card, its modular to reduce clutter, and it looks pretty good to boot.

I will be watercooling this box within a couple months, so i decided to go with a 2.5" drive [Scrapped the drive from the list due to me finding a 7200RPm 2.5" drive here at home] to save some room to fit rads/pump/tubing in.

Comes out to 764.95$ + S/h

Thoughts, ideas, comments etc, let me know what you think!

*updated*
See less See more
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
change the mobo and cpu with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103648

and you're better off with this ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231166

the tri-core will run cooler than that quad, and a whole lot faster in gaming.
If you don't need the handle you could save 40 bucks by getting this instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133044.

DDR2 1066 for the cheaper from g.skill http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231226

Spend another $10 and get this , $90 Corsair 520 after MIR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139001

You could also probably switch that 4850x2 to a gtx 260. Hell, my friend's 8800gs maxes out ut3 and all source games. You really don't need a 4850x2 for the games you're playing and a 19" monitor.

I'd look into another hdd by the way, every hitachi I've had has died on me.
ive had 1 hitachi and 1 WD die on me in my personal use, and ive got 2 of each in now, 1 of them a laptop HDD, so im neutral on drives, the drive brand will come down to what the best price is at buy time.

As far as the card goes i know its overkill on a 19", but ill eventually be grabbing a HD 22" for the lanbox, and id rather not have to swap cards out later on, hence the beefier card, and it gives me a chance to play with some ati hardware since my sig rig will be running more SLI goodness in the coming months.

i will take the PSU into consideration, im still working on the final PSU since i havent looked at the <900W models in some time now.

Gerikoh: you linked a AM2 board and a AM3 proc.... unless there some backwards compatibility i havent heard of that seems semi mismatched. Anyone have any indepth Reviews of MATX AMD boards? ive been scouring the web but have come up empty handed. although i am aware teh Quad will run hot, i will be putting the CPU under water to help eliminate the CPU heat.

As far as the games go those were some examples, i plan to have all my games copied onto this lanbox, so that includes crysis, GTAIV, mass effect, Far Cry 2, Fear 2, etc etc. im basically aiming for a lighter version of my sig rig, although i understand that its not going to be as powerful, especially once my sig rig gets some graphics updates and new fans, but i dont want to lose a ton of performance when i go somewhere local, but im also tired of lugging this thing around [especially since i usually go with a good friend and getting his Antec 1200, my stacker, all our accesories, and his 28" monitor into an RX8 is a PITA] hence this build. im still hauling my sig rig to larger events and competitions, but for a night at a buddies or whatever i want something smaller, but dont want to pay the premium on a laptop.

Also, i am aware i could go lanbox lite and save 40$ and lose the handle, but unless i go over budget by a decent margin ill drop the 40$ to the handle, espeically with the amount i lan.

updated the OP to reflect some more research.
See less See more
id drop to a PHII 720, and give it a nice OC. your render threads will love you that much more, no matter what gpu setup you go with. and i agree on going with the single GPU. to be honest id grab up a basic 4870 and run with that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luda
View Post

Gerikoh: you linked a AM2 board and a AM3 proc.... unless there some backwards compatibility i havent heard of that seems semi mismatched. Anyone have any indepth Reviews of MATX AMD boards? ive been scouring the web but have come up empty handed. although i am aware teh Quad will run hot, i will be putting the CPU under water to help eliminate the CPU heat.

they are backwards compatible.
See less See more
Quote:

View Post

As far as the games go those were some examples, i plan to have all my games copied onto this lanbox, so that includes crysis, GTAIV, mass effect, Far Cry 2, Fear 2, etc etc. im basically aiming for a lighter version of my sig rig, although i understand that its not going to be as powerful, especially once my sig rig gets some graphics updates and new fans, but i dont want to lose a ton of performance when i go somewhere local, but im also tired of lugging this thing around [especially since i usually go with a good friend and getting his Antec 1200, my stacker, all our accesories, and his 28" monitor into an RX8 is a PITA] hence this build. im still hauling my sig rig to larger events and competitions, but for a night at a buddies or whatever i want something smaller, but dont want to pay the premium on a laptop.

updated the OP to reflect some more research.

Er.... if you overclock that 720 to 3.8 to 4.0 Ghz, the lan box you are building is going to be at least as fast than the rig you have. Thats because games don't currently use all quad cores. Not only that but a 8800 GT in SLI dont really compare to an 4850x2.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weedvender View Post
Er.... if you overclock that 720 to 3.8 to 4.0 Ghz, the lan box you are building is going to be at least as fast than the rig you have. Thats because games don't currently use all quad cores. Not only that but a 8800 GT in SLI dont really compare to an 4850x2.
the sig rig is getting a pair of GTX260 216's, and im not counting on any sort of overclock on it. especially at first, the first few month it will be stock cooled. once i W/C ill be overclocking a little bit, but ill be pretty limited on the amount of heat i can dissipate.

also i highly doubt a X3 will top my Q9550, especially once i get new fans on the rad and push the OC some more, since im doing 3.6GHZ rock solid @ 1.27 [under load], but i will most definatly be benchmarking the two machines against each other [another reason i want to get a amd/ati machine setup, and im running out of things to waste money on in my sig rig... until i tec that is]
See less See more
it will. and it will perform better even against the fastest quads in terms of gaming.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-ph...-review-am3/22
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luda View Post
the sig rig is getting a pair of GTX260 216's, and im not counting on any sort of overclock on it. especially at first, the first few month it will be stock cooled. once i W/C ill be overclocking a little bit, but ill be pretty limited on the amount of heat i can dissipate.

also i highly doubt a X3 will top my Q9550, especially once i get new fans on the rad and push the OC some more, since im doing 3.6GHZ rock solid @ 1.27 [under load], but i will most definatly be benchmarking the two machines against each other [another reason i want to get a amd/ati machine setup, and im running out of things to waste money on in my sig rig... until i tec that is]
Didn't say top. But at least as fast. The 720 avg OCs are 4 Ghz and thats pretty good for a lan box.
See less See more
Your link to the Gigabyte motherboard links to the Foxconn A7VMX-K AM2+/AM2 AMD 780V
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luda View Post
Sapphire Radeon 4850x2 1GB - 249.99
Seems to be the most powerful card i can cram into that case, without going up to the 400$+ price range, and it should allow for a monitor upgrade down the road.
This card is HUGE. It's an inch longer than the 4870x2 I believe. It sags in a case it's so long and heavy.
See less See more
fixed the Motherboard link, thanks for pointing that out.

and ya the card is huge, but from my research it seems to be the best performing in its price range.

And im doubtful that the 720 can outperform my Q9550 once it get it pushed to 4.0+ but if it does then i might have a parting out of the desktop and just use the lanbox lol.

Ive found a single internally watercooled lanbox on the web, has anyone heard/seen this done?
Quote:

View Post

fixed the Motherboard link, thanks for pointing that out.

and ya the card is huge, but from my research it seems to be the best performing in its price range.

And im doubtful that the 720 can outperform my Q9550 once it get it pushed to 4.0+ but if it does then i might have a parting out of the desktop and just use the lanbox lol.

Ive found a single internally watercooled lanbox on the web, has anyone heard/seen this done?

Clock for clock, no. You are faster. But the 4850x2 makes up for it.
See less See more
oh you are gonna be so shocked with that new rig
See less See more
Just make sure the 4850x2 will fit - I think it's around 11.5 inches.
I know the lanbox was designed to be able to hold an 8800GTX card. I will state that the cooling fans are odd on the lanbox, there are two 60mm on the rear with the ability to add another for 3x total. Then a 90/92mm on the front. MicroATX boards only, but the motherboard tray is removable, which is great, and you can mount the psu upward or downward.
after removing the HDD cage it should fit, ill be digging up better specs on the internal dimensions soon.

i do hope to be shocked by the new rig
http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...d-lan-box.html

Syrillian is a master....I actually bought that case off him when he was done with it, sans all the water cooling stuff lol.
i was shown that a little while ago, and while it does indeed look amazing, im not mounting anything externally, especially not on this build, since its being built for lan parties its going to see an extensive amount of travel time and movement, so the less that can get knocked around the better.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.