Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats a good AMD mobo that's pretty cheap, but has good OCing potential?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping to get a new CPU b/c my current one is 498 MHz... so i need a CPU thats is about 1-2 GHz, I'm poor...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh yeah, i have a NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX440 with AGP8X
so i dont need onboard video...
sorry...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what about the mobos that are about $60-$70? are they any good?

·
Registered
725 Posts
He could build an ok system for that price..im from england but my board was £40-£50 and CPU was £50ish.

Cpu:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...103-506&DEPA=1

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...128-194&depa=1

That setups fine, well it is for me.

(Though you'd need some DDRRAM as well unless you have some around)

Edit: to be honest if you only have the 500mhz machine that you mentioned earlier you'd be needing new PSU, the whole works etc...unless you have them?? lol

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,000 Posts
I have an Albatron KX600S Pro that is LOADED with OC'ing options! If there is a voltage or frequency in your system, this lets you change it! Cheap, too. Only about $65. Supports up to XP 3200.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, i'll probably need a new psu, i have good video card.. but thats about it...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well it depends really, you could be fine with the one you have, a standard cheap powersupply should be ok as long as you lay off the overclocking until you get a better one.

The thing is, in the end, you can either get ok parts now and upgrade in 2-3 years time, or get the best bits now and upgrade in 3-6 years time. Save money now or save money later, really.

(Even though the majority of the people on here probably upgrade on a weekly basis
)

·
Premium Member
22,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggy

(Even though the majority of the people on here probably upgrade on a weekly basis
)

nope, proud to say no upgrades since october
:shades2:

I have the generic crap PSU that came in my case and I can overclock by 400 mhz no problem.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yeah exactly.

Generic PSU's get alot of jip, and although I've never done any heavey overclocking on them (Havnt done any amazingly heavey OCing on my current decent one either, to be honest) I've never actualy had any problems with them.

They do seem to get alot of jip when they arnt really allll that bad in my experiance, albiet limited.

I guess having a $100 powersupply is peace of mind to some people, too.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvin the bold

i have good video card.. but thats about it...

If your talking about the Geforce 4 MX... then youll need to upgrade that too

1 - 20 of 21 Posts