Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 1631 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by antuk15;12468090
Am I right in saying that I don't think ANY AMD motherboard has a better, higher quality VRM lay out as the CH 4 Extreme?

It's even higher quality then the CH4 Formula..
I would say that the ta890fxe has the highest quality vrms, but the CHIVe makes up for it with higher quantitiy

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
gigabyte 870a-ud3
phases 8+2
heatsinked nb yes sb yes mosfets no
tdp 140w
cpu power 8 pin
compatible heatsink enzotech mst-88 or enzotech wmst-88<--- water block

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex99;12468056
There could be some mistakes on the spreadsheet, particularly on the rds and transistor collumns.

We are going off pictures from the manufacturer's website, so somtimes it is hard to tell.
If I might offer a small correction on the DFI LANPARTY BI 785G-M35.... I've owned that board, and it does indeed have heatsinked VRMs....
wink.gif

Good job though, guys....
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
On the website, it looks unheatsinked, but since you have actually owned it i guess that is a better source

*updated*

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
It's another one but that looks like a good one as well
smile.gif
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
added a submission form to the OP.

If you don't see your board, feel free to submit it, and we will see if we can add it to the list

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Added ASUS M3N78 PRO (AM2+)

I have it running in my server. It ran my 955 @ 3.8Ghz 1.41V for 2 months and the mosfet's feel cool to the touch. Only the chokes hot very hot.

Tough after that period (and it had my 7750 in it for a year) it started to make squeeling noises but that's probably because of the chokes.

Also it's best that you replace the tim under the cooler on the ASRock 890GX Extreme3 and other boards in that series. They come with pretty crappy thermal pads( I guess all boards use thermal pads ?). I still have to put some tim on there but I'll do that when i drain my loop.

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Info on ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe:

Socket AM2.
Max TDP 140W.
4 phases, heatsinked.
4pin CPU power.
NB heatsinked aswell, heatpipes connected to MOSFET heatsinks.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Apart from your "phase count" column being totally misleading, I think it is a good idea.

Inform members properly, they deserve no less then the truth, especially considering the title is specific to "power phase".

My suggestion is to break that column into two and provide the true number of power phases. Perhas the columns should be named:
Advertised Phases
True Phases

Otherwise you will simply mislead members into thinking that their mobo has "8+2 phases" when in actual FACT it is almost certainly only 4+1 phases.

You also run risk of misinformation spreading as truth, and eluding members into thinking higher "phase" count is better, even though the "phase" count listed is misleading in itself.

Get the information correct from the start and everyone benefits properly from your hard work and information.

Edit: Maybe add another column that lists the actual VRM used?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by un-nefer;12474180
Apart from your "phase count" column being totally misleading, I think it is a good idea.

Inform members properly, they deserve no less then the truth, especially considering the title is specific to "power phase".

My suggestion is to break that column into two and provide the true number of power phases. Perhas the columns should be named:
Advertised Phases
True Phases

Otherwise you will simply mislead members into thinking that their mobo has "8+2 phases" when in actual FACT it is almost certainly only 4+1 phases.

You also run risk of misinformation spreading as truth, and eluding members into thinking higher "phase" count is better, even though the "phase" count listed is misleading in itself.

Get the information correct from the start and everyone benefits properly from your hard work and information.

Edit: Maybe add another column that lists the actual VRM used?
You're free to contribute your own research. Many other members have already
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
I was going to PM reflex about 1-2 hours ago (stupid internet preventing me from getting to OCN somehow) about explaining in the OP that we use phases to refer to the split inductor count instead of channel count for simplicity and sake of comparison. I'm aware of this. Phase count can be a pretty important factor, though as I have said it is not necessarily the most important thing sometimes, hence I filled in the tables with other columns concerning overall quality.

I think as a good start I will put if the mobo is "split 4+1 phase" in the transistor type column.
EDIT: I have added an "Actual channelling" column to ASUS & Gigabyte, however I have doubts as to how users will respond to this... I am thinking most likely with confusion. It might be better if I just explain the split-phase theory and how it really doesn't matter anyway since I've never ever seen an 8+2 blow even if it's base 4+1. Though I've tried it out on two graphs I'm waiting on user input here.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I can put a note if you want.

I was going to, but I thought to myself:

Who actually thinks of it that way?

When people think of power phases, they think of them how we have them listed, which is what is really important.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Having to rant about split power phase is just going to confuse people, and seriously a split 4+1 -> 8+2 power phase is still much better than a non-split 4+1 and closely matches a true non-split 8+2 phase. Definitely something worth nothing, but not something that's a huge issue.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I actually had an idea.

How about if we mark the split phase ones with an asterisk (*)?

That way it will keep the table clean, but still show which are split phase.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
That seems like an okay compromise. Perhaps you should link to my thread concerning what split phase is and I'll expand on that section.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
post up a link, and i can add it to the Op.

lets go fix the spreadsheet then.....
wheee.gif

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
This is a great thread keep up the work guys.

Not sure about this since I've read reviews on my board stating the contrary on voltage drops and rises; but from what I've seen in software (I know it's not the best/most accurate thing) there is some substantial voltage jumps (up and down) on the M4A785TD-M Evo.

Again. Great info. Keep it up.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The Biostar TA790GXE 128M is 4+1, 140W

TA790GX is 3+1, 140W

As a side note, it seems that motherboards that did not have at least 4 phase were not bios upgraded for the Phenom II X6.

41 - 60 of 1631 Posts