1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
I call total BS. Never heard of RAM being specific to one platform or another. DDR3 is DDR3 and that RAM should work in any DDR3 desktop board. Only when you get into the really high frequencies then it comes down to if the CPU's IMC can handle it or might require tweaking the memory controller voltage (sometimes called VCCIO on Intel, I don't know AMDs term maybe HT or NB something)

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I ended up ordering it. Worst comes to worst I'll have a good story to tell...

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz26 View Post

Well, I ended up ordering it. Worst comes to worst I'll have a good story to tell...
Post back in this thread if it works or not. I'm curious to see. I'm 99.9% sure it will work fine.

·
Registered
634 Posts
DDR3 is accessed by rows and columns.

Intel desktop class chips of Haswell and older are limited in the number of columns they can access. Normally this limits the maximum size to 8GB per DIMM for desktop unbuffered memory. A few X79 motherboards have beta BIOS that enable this (look up Asus ROG Max your Memory).

16GB is reported to work on AMD.

However, last I checked 16GB DDR3 is still super expensive and you would probably be better off buying a new motherboard/CPU if you need more memory.

I don't know why this is would apply to 8GB modules but perhaps they cheaped out on the production process somehow?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I ended up canceling my order. It turns out that these "AMD only" DIMMs from China/Hong Kong are made using x4 DRAM chips (from the eBay screenshot you can see they are using 16 SK Hynix H5TQ4G43BFR 4Gb x4 chips), making these 8GB, single-rank, x4 modules. However, 3rd-gen Ivy Bridge consumer CPUs only support x8 or x16 DRAM chips (i.e. what you find in name-brand RAM), as stated in this official Intel datasheet (page 23 of https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/3rd-gen-core-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.html). I'm guessing this is the case for Haswell too. I wasn't able to find the corresponding technical documentation on the AMD side, but as we all know AMD platforms tend to be less picky about memory compatibility. I hope this helps clear things up for anyone wondering about this in the future!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just for the heck of it I bought some of this AMD only ram. I got Kingbox 16gb DDR3 1600mhz for only 45.00. Put it into my Asrock 970A-G/3.1 motherboard with an FX 9590 and it works just fine. Passed Prime 95 and Intel Burn Test with no problem. From what I've read it probably wont work on Intel systems but for AMD it's a viable cheap option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts