Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to upgrade my current A64 3000 to the opteron 165 (£250), i've already got the a8n sli deluxe, now what memory should i get to go with this so i can get a good o/c with the opteron, ideally i want 2gb and it has to be available in the UK

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
if money is no problem either get the OCZ titanium edition or the mushkin redline pc 5400. not sure about being available in UK but i will check it for u.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazza

will this mem enable me to get a high o/c?

Expensive ram will let you get a higher overclock on the memory, but the CPU speed shouldn't be affected as you can just slow your ram down by using dividers.
In reality, having ram over 200Mhz, on Skt 939, doesn't impact a great deal on normal use Eg. Playing games, internet, word processing etc. However, if you're trying to squeeze every last bit of peformance out of your system, dealing with vey large files, like databases or benchmarking etc then good overclocking ram is a must.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste

Expensive ram will let you get a higher overclock on the memory, but the CPU speed shouldn't be affected as you can just slow your ram down by using dividers.
In reality, having ram over 200Mhz, on Skt 939, doesn't impact a great deal on normal use Eg. Playing games, internet, word processing etc. However, if you're trying to squeeze every last bit of peformance out of your system, dealing with vey large files, like databases or benchmarking etc then good overclocking ram is a must.

Not nessecarily expensive memory, but rather costlier than ValueRam, because I've seen some pretty damn cheap ram ($100) get great overclocks. But yes, a lot of good sets of memory turn out being expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
There is not a "Great" benefit from moving to expensive dram on AMD systems. Since the memory controller is on chip and the latency of that memory controller is so low ~40 - 45ns for an overclocked ~2.6GHz) Venice processor, there will always be a drop once the memory subsystem addresses the DDRAM (this will be even worse on the write level with DDR2).

Look to gain a ~5 - 10% gain (AMD System) at best with a move to low latency and 1:1 memory strap divider.

This is what I have found and is an approximation of the systems I have researched and worked with. YRMV of course. I have found some Samsung Value Ram and Hynix Value Ram that has allowed 240MHz @ 2.5-3-3-7 clocks so it can be a bit of a crap shoot though and purchasing higher valued dram will allow you to have low DDRAM latencies as well as higher data streaming speeds. It just does not make much a difference in real life.

These percentages do not seem to follow when I use a stopwatch and load/play F.E.A.R./Quake4/FarCry or rendering video etc. and that is my personal final testing ground. It matters little to me if the quantified benchmarks show a difference when that difference is not translated into real life applications in productivity and gaming.

R

1 - 7 of 7 Posts