Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently building a new pc and i'm hearing alot of confusing, not to mention conflicting statements about which is the best processor to buy.

Everyone is raving about the opteron at the moment as it overclocks really well and thus releases alot more potential but i dont know if i should just stick to what i know and get an athlon.

what habours the greatest potential in my new system? especially considering i dont have top spec parts.

i will have a ECS KN1 SLI extreme mobo, 1GB pc3200 DDR ram, a seasonic s12-600 power supply. i have an artic cooling freezer 7 pro and a coolermaster centurion 532 case.

as i dont have the processor yet can i get some help with what would be the easiest and best combo to get some cheap easy extra power without changing any of my current components.

thankyou

·
Premium Member
20,550 Posts
I vote for Athlon. Despite everything I've read, I'm still not convinced that the extra money paid for lower clock opterons that can possibly have a higher oc potential is worth it. What if you get a poor stepping? Stock the Athlons are faster and cheaper and it looks like in most cases, they OC just as well (and considering they have higher base clock speeds wouldn't that offset even inferior OC?).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the difference in price between a 3200 athlon and a opteron 144 is minimal and ppl have been saying the opteron is a far better option but i wouldnt be overclocking it a great deal. just getting a bit more performance without jeprodising (<-- spelling?) my system. which is easier to overclock without causing me problems and which one would i get greater returns on?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
if u want an honest answer and you are willing to wait...then might as well wait until the m2's are out..but by some ppls account they are coming out 2nd quarter...according to amd website they dont seem want to change anything for this year...except to go with opterons...

so i am thinking u might want to wait but then since the wait seems a bit too long just go with the opterons...coz dual core is here to stay and frankly speaking all winds blowing in all directions say that the softwares are reaching a point where they will utilize dual core more efficiently so that should be the way to go...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Plus arent the opterons going up in price?

·
Premium Member
20,550 Posts
I agree that dual cores are popular for good reason but it depends on what you are going to be doing with the pc. IF you are a gamer primarily, dual core has no current benefit. Eventually you will see dual threaded games coming, but single cores for the time being are faster and cheaper. If you are running productivity software with multiple apps running, then a dual core is the way to go.

Also the difference between the 3200+ and the 1 MB cache 3700+ os only $70 Canadian. the 3700+ are proven overclockers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive seen opteron 144's for under 100 quid and i cant find a athlon 3200 for less than 110 pounds. that was the reason i was swaying in the opteron direction.

i wouldn't want to speand more than 150 quid on a processor so i could almost budget to a 3700 which are going for 160 and under, just.

what about my motherboard would it be ok to overclock with? apparently there is no option in the BIOS to adjust chipset voltage which i wasn't aware of until i got it!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
as a matter of fact ur mobo was the first thing that struck me but since u said u didnt wanna change anything else i left it at that....but seriously if u wanna oc u have to get a better mobo....like an asus, abit or maybe even msi...if u really want it we could propose something....

dang...u already have the mobo...well u have to live with it then....i really havent heard of any of those boards doing well with oc....dont know about any1 else here though...

·
Premium Member
20,550 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im kind of stuck with the mobo as it was bought on the tinternet and i cant be bothered to return it. plus i like the colour
not only that but it was only 84 quid.

would it pose a great problem? or a mere stumbling block!

have you heard anything bout the dual core opterons? worth it?

i wouldnt consider dual core normally. a 3700 looks quite good really.

my budget doesn't really have a ceiling i just have to earn it first! every month i have about 200 pounds spare for, as my partner calls it 'that crappy computer stuff'

that reviewer quite liked it, maybye clockgen is the way to go. i have heard bad things bout the ecs's bios

·
Premium Member
20,550 Posts
Ya, the review was positive. He had issues with OC but as mentioned, the clockgen utility seems to work fine. ECS has a decent reputation. Get a 3700+ to go with it and some OC time should give you great performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks

now my only problem is should i add this half built not working system in part to my sig, or use my current, defunct duron system with its enormous 1.1ghz and 60 gig HDD.. choices choices!

·
Premium Member
20,550 Posts
lol List your new stuff as thats what you'll be working towards.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I wouldn't buy any processor until you find out that board is actually able to clock. Some mobos aren't stable above 250, so you need to find this information out before you do anything.
You need vcore adjustments, memory dividers, HTT multi's, etc...for it to overclock anywhere over 200mhz.
In the end you might have to get another board before you start.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts