Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to research my next build, and I am trying to decide between going AMD or Intel for the processor. I really need a cooler running system this time around, but I do my share of gaming, so I want a good performing CPU.

I've kind of lost touch with what's happening in the CPU world, so in the $150 - $200 range, which processor is going to offer the coolest operation without sacrificing too much performance?

EDIT: [Devs please move to the general CPU forum - I just noticed it]

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
the Phenom II's run ALOT cooler than the i7/i5's, but at the expense of performance.

The Phenom II 955 C3 is probably your best bet for a good quality AMD cpu that runs cool, when i had mine it ran around 46C full load prime 95 on my Megahalem, compared to around 70-75C full load on my i7 920/930

Both of those were overclocked to their max, without overvolting them

·
Registered
355 Posts
AMD runs cooler, You should try for a Phenom X6 1055T.
1055T: 125(W), AM3 Socket, 9MB Cache, 2.8 GHz Freq @ 199 USD
I dont find very many benchmarks but the new X6 cpus overclock with lower vcore keeping them cooler(So I've seen and read)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
At what level?
i7-920 at stock will out run an OC'd PhII x 4 or similar, with less heat. That assumes that the whole CPU is used (i.e. the program in question can take advantage as multiple threads).
What kind of processing power are you looking for?
AMD is probably the way to go for low output processors, not much encoding, just gaming (GPU dependent)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
yes in that price range your looking @ Intel - i7 750 & AMD 955 C3, the AMD will run alot cooler, and the 750 does not have hyper threading, so you will squeeze a little more out of the 750 in terms of performance, but as i stated in my earlier post, you will be running about 20C warmer (assuming you overclock these things) who wouldnt?

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quasimojo View Post
I'm starting to research my next build, and I am trying to decide between going AMD or Intel for the processor. I really need a cooler running system this time around, but I do my share of gaming, so I want a good performing CPU.

I've kind of lost touch with what's happening in the CPU world, so in the $150 - $200 range, which processor is going to offer the coolest operation without sacrificing too much performance?

EDIT: [Devs please move to the general CPU forum - I just noticed it]
Why do you want the CPU that runs the coolest

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACHILEE5 View Post

The cooler your CPU runs, the less cooling it needs, less cooling equals less fans, equals less noise. That's how i look at it anyway.

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
My CPU is currently sitting at 45C. It's been folding continuously for the last 16 hours and that temp hasn't budged so I'd say AMD runs pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleannex View Post
The cooler your CPU runs, the less cooling it needs, less cooling equals less fans, equals less noise. That's how i look at it anyway.
I can roll with that

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJRhoades View Post
My CPU is currently sitting at 45C. It's been folding continuously for the last 16 hours and that temp hasn't budged so I'd say AMD runs pretty cool.
CJRhoades If you run Prime95 blend, what temps do you get at the cores? And how close the your chips max temp?
I'm asking you, because you have the same CPU cooler as me and want to compare our temps

After 5 minutes my cores get to 54c max with Prime95 Blend, so 46c from TJ Max and 18c from its thermal spec I believe.

To all the Fan boys, this isn't worth winning so lets not war over it

This is science

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACHILEE5 View Post

My current system generates so much heat that it gets uncomfortable while gaming. I have it under my desk, which is closed on three sides, so I basically end up just sitting there in the middle of all that heat coming out of the case. A lot of it is my GPU, but I'm also looking for a CPU that will give me a lot more performance while doing so by generating less heat.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdesbien31 View Post
the Phenom II's run ALOT cooler than the i7/i5's, but at the expense of performance.

The Phenom II 955 C3 is probably your best bet for a good quality AMD cpu that runs cool, when i had mine it ran around 46C full load prime 95 on my Megahalem, compared to around 70-75C full load on my i7 920/930

Both of those were overclocked to their max, without overvolting them
I see Phenom II 955, but nothing that says C3. What does C3 designate?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
My 720 never exceeds 35C, and is ambient temp at idle.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
intel was cooler before the i7s, so phenom should work better for you

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Go with the X4 955.

I got my i5 750 because I do a lot of computationally expensive things, and the i5 is a quite a bit faster in those regards.

For gaming though the difference is pretty much negligible. Either both run fast enough that there is no noticeable difference, or the i5 750 is faster, but both run like crap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.