Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amd or Intel?

4K views 90 replies 27 participants last post by  Ropey 
#1 ·
Sorry, I dun't know where to post this. Anyway, what is better?? Amd or Intel. I don't really do gaming and I need a cpu which can multitask better. And of course overclocking! If amd, what processors do you recommend? Not too expansive. If intel, which would you recommend, 630 3.0 or 640 3.2?

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are looking to do More multitasking and Some gaming INTEL is definately for you But with the release of the new Intel Conroe then i would definately go INTEL As conroe is kicking AMD out of the water at the moment. I would get the 3.2 obviously because its just that little faster and you can OC it.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbozy911

So should I wait for the conroe if i want to build a new pc?

To be honest that would be your best bet as you will waste money upgrading now then to conroe as conroe Will need a new motherboard with a different Chipset type not released yet so i would wait and you will be very pleased..The Conroe at 2.66 is excellent and will be cheap as wel and the higher clocked Conroes are going to be excellent aswel.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbozy911

How do you know that the conroe 2.66 will be cheap?

Well ive read on a couple of reveiws and post that it will be alot cheaper than alot of the AMD cpu's and with the Conroes tech that would be amazing..There are no definate prices set out at the moment so dont take my word for it but there are strong rumors.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701

If you are looking to do More multitasking and Some gaming INTEL is definately for you But with the release of the new Intel Conroe then i would definately go INTEL As conroe is kicking AMD out of the water at the moment. I would get the 3.2 obviously because its just that little faster and you can OC it.

AMD dual core cpus outperform Intel dual cores across the board. Proof is in the link below and several other reviews that you can Google. Conroe is 4 to 6 months away, so how does this statement even make any sense......"conroe is kicking AMD out of the water at the moment"??

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7...9.html?tag=btn

#10 ·

Poor guy got jumped by intel fanboys...

Right now, AMD. In the future, I have no idea. Yes, Conroe will be a great processor. But we have really no idea what AMD's got up its sleeve for AM2. Sure, we've seen the FX59 and the FX62, but who's to say that there won't be even better models? The truth is, I don't know who will be better in a few months. No one does.

If you want multitasking, and stability, check out the dual core Opteron line, or the Athlon X2 line. Both are great processors.
Dual core Optys: 165, 170, 175, 180, 185
Athlon X2 models: 3800+, 4200+, 4400+, 4600+, 4800+

#11 ·
If I where you I'd go with AMD I'v used and built many systems based on both AMD and Intel since amd had the 80mhz back in the duke Nukem days when everyone had a AMD Cpu & a Trident 2 meg video card. AMD has always been good the the consumer always offering better quality for less and always one step ahead of Intel. Now don't get me wrong I'm not an Intel hater. I remember the Celly days with my 800mhz overclocks =)

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472

AMD dual core cpus outperform Intel dual cores across the board. Proof is in the link below and several other reviews that you can Google. Conroe is 4 to 6 months away, so how does this statement even make any sense......"conroe is kicking AMD out of the water at the moment"??

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7...9.html?tag=btn

Thats a good point u make there. Well as seeing he wants to do more multitasking and a little gaming i still reccomend an Intel. And no i am not an INTEL fanboy lol..just stating a few opnions and facts.

#13 ·
Right....

Anyway, at the moment, AMD is probably the way to go. They run cooler, tend to be less expensive for the performance, and perform better per clock cycle.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac

Right....

Anyway, at the moment, AMD is probably the way to go. They run cooler, tend to be less expensive for the performance, and perform better per clock cycle.

I have a feeling that will change sonn Intels closing the gap a little now.

#15 ·
theyre comparing a next gen chip to an old gen chip - which to be quiet frank, is disgusting tactics from intel. Wait until the M2 socket is released and the chips for that are ready to go. Then we'll see which is the better chip.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701

Thats a good point u make there. Well as seeing he wants to do more multitasking and a little gaming i still reccomend an Intel. And no i am not an INTEL fanboy lol..just stating a few opnions and facts.

If he wants to multitask, what makes you suggest Intel over AMD? Do you have any review showing Intel even equal in multitasking,encoding, or editing?
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7....html?tag=lnav

I'm not asking that in a smart way, I'm asking your honest opinion as to why you would suggest a dual core Intel versus a dual core AMD. They run hotter, use more power and the benchmarks show them to be slower.

• Rep+
Reactions: Fatal05
#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Jester

theyre comparing a next gen chip to an old gen chip - which to be quiet frank, is disgusting tactics from intel. Wait until the M2 socket is released and the chips for that are ready to go. Then we'll see which is the better chip.

AM2 is still 90nm, so is not next gen

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by slikskye

AM2 is still 90nm, so is not next gen

i'm pretty sure that when athlon 64 was released, it was the same process technology as athlon xp (130nm). whether a chip changes in the manufacturing process or not doesn't make it "next gen." the venice 90nm cores of athlon 64s are not "next gen," nor is AM2 really. when they change the core completely, then it will be next-gen.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushJet1

i'm pretty sure that when athlon 64 was released, it was the same process technology as athlon xp (130nm). whether a chip changes in the manufacturing process or not doesn't make it "next gen." the venice 90nm cores of athlon 64s are not "next gen," nor is AM2 really. when they change the core completely, then it will be next-gen.

They are changing the core architecture for the AM2 & the conroe. Both still use the x86 'base' architecture. Personally I think the x86 architecture will be around for a while yet. The transition to another will be waay to bumpy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.