Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is whether AMD or Intel wins out price for price. The two setups im looking at are for Intel the Gigabyte UD3R mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-423-_-Product and the i7 930 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-225-_-Product. For AMD im looking at the MSI 890fx http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=msi%20890fx for a mobo and the 1090t 6-core http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-849-_-Product for a processor. So my question is, which one of these will do better if I overclock them?

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
i7 930..

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rollinsoundzboy
View Post

i7 920>950
FTW

3x gtx 460? i thought you can only 2x 460's

·
Registered
144 Posts
What is your usage going to be, they will both oc well, but you could save a little and go with the 1055t as from what i have heard they oc just as well and you could save some bucs, if you fold etc then the i7 will be the better one but if your gaming and just general stuff on the pc then the amd wins just my opinion gl choosing.

·
Well, hello there...
4,499 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rollinsoundzboy View Post
i7 920>950
FTW
+1 AMD if your want to save money and Intel if you want best performance and epeen. I don't think that there is anything out there that really uses 6 cores and if I could my PC again I would have gotten a dual core and then tried to unlock a core. My

Make this a poll!

·
Banned
207 Posts
This thread is lol.

Amd provides cheap, reliable, and fast chips

Intel provies expensive, fast chips.

what do you think.

Intel currently has a $1k cpu that amd has for around $200.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnycat View Post
This thread is lol.

Amd provides cheap, reliable, and fast chips

Intel provies expensive, fast chips.

what do you think.

Intel currently has a $1k cpu that amd has for around $200.
If you seriously believe that $200 x6 can keep up with that 980x then I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you. The performance isn't in the same league, and the markets they appeal to aren't any more similar.

I'd go with the i7 9xx - superior performance, superior overclocking, superior chipset and platform options. And you get SLI support thrown in as well. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pursuinginsanity View Post
If you seriously believe that $200 x6 can keep up with that 980x then I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you. The performance isn't in the same league, and the markets they appeal to aren't any more similar.

I'd go with the i7 9xx - superior performance, superior overclocking, superior chipset and platform options. And you get SLI support thrown in as well. Just my opinion.
wait for Bulldozer my friend. intel is going to get pushed aside.

with that said, I vote 1090T or the new 1075T ( same as 1090T but locked multi)

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
AMD: Better performance for the price, cheaper motherboards, and games do not max out the CPU yet. Go with a Phenom II x2/x4 if all you're planning to do is play games.

Intel: Better performance, stronger chips. The i5/i7s perform better than the Phenom IIs, but they also cost much more. Go with an i5/i7 if you're planning to do media editing, as games will not use the extra power.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TCOC
View Post

wait for Bulldozer my friend. intel is going to get pushed aside.

with that said, I vote 1090T or the new 1075T ( same as 1090T but locked multi)

Just a few things. 1. We're not comparing bulldozer here. Like it or not, the i7's performance speaks for itself.
2. Benchmarks, not blind faith.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Well Intel has more Gigadrives.

In a more serious note, it really comes down to price range. You'll have a much better time of it if you decide how much you want to spend, and then compare the processors in that price range. Excluding platform costs, below $200 AMD often has a slight edge, above is all Intel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Intel if you invest some money in the team, and if the budget AMD oriented . If you could change something it would be both:
1. AMD for better performance by the clock
2. Intel price drop or insert a real quad-core in one of their most recent orbits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts