Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to get a new cooler for my CPU, and i wanted to see what the best one is for doing good overclocking for when on high power games?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Similar question, how is the Freezer 7 on Phenom II quads?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
well i've had a xigmatech s1283, Cooler Master V8 and now a Corsair H50 on my phenom II 940BE

all of them work great so long as you have proper air flow in your case. Also the TRUE is one of the good ones out there as well. I guess in the end it comes down to price for you. As of right now i would recommend the H50
simply because its looks hella nice and takes up less space. Also it competes against some high end air cooler out there and cost about the same.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...dlist=celebros

If you do get the H50, def do a push/pull setup with the fans on the radiator.

Edit: here the newegg link for the sake of reviews lol

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anything under bout £60 is good.
I wanted to get the H50 but im not sure if it will fit in my case, how wide is the radiator?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by computer/noob View Post
anything under bout £60 is good.
I wanted to get the H50 but im not sure if it will fit in my case, how wide is the radiator?
The radiator should fit wherever you have a spot for a 120mm fan.

If that will be an issue for you, then i would say get one of the others. I think an s1283 should do fine for u then.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kk cool, like what twistid said hav u ever used a freezer 7?
ive just been lookin at it and it looks alrite?

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,521 Posts
Top solutions: Corsair H50, megahalems, true, ifx 14, and such...

medi core: xigmatek s1283, mugen 2, CCF

low budget but half way decent: ac freezer 64, xitmatek 92mm

thats how i look at it

Quote:

Originally Posted by computer/noob
View Post

-> the freezer 7 is an intel socket 775 cooler, what you are referring to is the freezer 64. its ok for dual core cpus, anything higher should be cooled with a different heatsink, to be honest

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:

View Post

no i haven't used it. the only other one's i've used on my phenom was the stock heatsink and the TT120(which sucked for me)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
You'd be better off spending that money on a new CPU. The Phenom I's don't overclock well at all and are rather slow compared to the Phenom IIs. Even an Athlon II X4 would do wonders for you.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Are you? Not sure how to respond to that.

Keep in mind, also, that your GPU is very important for gaming, especially high-end games. You'll receive many times the results if you upgrade your GPU over your CPU, although this does vary from game to game (Left 4 Dead, for example, is very CPU dependent).

·
Registered
810 Posts
I think you'd be better off with a single card that performs about the same as 2x GTS 250's. More future proof
If you don't want to get a dx11 card just yet you could buy a GTX275 or and ati 4870 or 4890, I don't know how the prices are where you live.

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,521 Posts
Quote:

View Post

wat nVidia cards are DX 11? the 295?

none

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The only DX11 products out are ATi's 5000 series, but they are excellent and well worth the price. I was thinking that you are trying to upgrade your current system, it sounds like you're putting together a whole new build. Very exciting, good luck!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i was thinkin of going back to ATI bu they are more expensive. ill still see what they go for tho.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts