Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, how much better is the 720 over the 620 assuming that no unlocks can be done. ie stock and overclocking using fsb.

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a bit of everything but mostly gaming. i have done some research and for gaming the 720 is better but availability around here is a bit hard whereas the 620 i can go and pick up 1 today. I have a bigish LAN on sat and need to setup my pc from scratch but dont have a cpu. I can order a 720 and get it tomorrow (1 night to do everything) or get the 620 and start tonight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
personally, id go with the 620 (what I currently have). I purchased the 720 before hoping for a core unlock but had no such luck. For me, there was also a $30 price difference between 620 and 720 (720 costing more). Right now, loving the 620 purchase. Guaranteed 4 cores and overclocked to 3.5GHz at the moment, hoping to go higher. No L3 cache is a bit of a bummer but most reviews show it as having little impact generally...

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennisjai
View Post

personally i'd rather get the 620 over the 720, cheaper and more cores.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avin
View Post

personally, id go with the 620 (what I currently have). I purchased the 720 before hoping for a core unlock but had no such luck. For me, there was also a $30 price difference between 620 and 720 (720 costing more). Right now, loving the 620 purchase. Guaranteed 4 cores and overclocked to 3.5GHz at the moment, hoping to go higher. No L3 cache is a bit of a bummer but most reviews show it as having little impact generally...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeifer
View Post

I'd honestly go with the 720 (provided it's Black Edition). It'll clock higher than the 620, and there's always that chance for another core. Tri-core is the sweet spot for gaming currently.

why are you guys asking which to go for? LOL he already has a 620. Hes just

asking how much better the 720 is to the 620..

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
For gaming it seems the 720 is a good amount better because of the L3, most other things, the athlon seems better because of the 4th core.

The 720 seems to be able to clock a little higher, but not much, and you asked about stock anway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by youra6 View Post
why are you guys asking which to go for? LOL he already has a 620. Hes just

asking how much better the 720 is to the 620..
we lost track of time
his last post, he said he had yet to buy one.. but I guess he did

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would not bother upgrading from 620. It is better to wait until AMD releases more (cheaper mid/low-end) chips with C3 stepping.

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL,
Quote:

why are you guys asking which to go for? LOL he already has a 620.

Technically speaking yes i had got a 620, but only like 4 hours before you posted that. lol, i love it, kinda like my first proper pc. Just started to OC, got it at the moment at 2860 (220 X 13) on air running at under 30 degrees but going to try go over 3GHZ. just need to get my water pump to finish my loop, then im going huge

Any guesses what i should aim for as a OC, im kinda thinking around 3.6GHz when i get my water setup. maybe 3.2 on air (have seen way higher). What you guys think. Mobo and RAM spec in sig system.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemTech
View Post

Quick question, how much better is the 720 over the 620 assuming that no unlocks can be done. ie stock and overclocking using fsb.

Honestly, the Phenom II's are only 5% faster than the Athlon II's at the same speeds and that's pretty much due to the L3 Cache. In some applications, the Athlon II's actually beat the Phenom II's. What exactly will you be doing on this rig?

As far as overclocking goes, the Athlon II's will clock up to at least 3.2Ghz on stock volts with the stock cooler which is a 600Mhz or 400Mhz Overclock depending on if you get the 620 or 630. From there, it just depends. Now with the Black Edition chips, you'll be able to just raise the multi for better OC'ing results. Some can get theirs to 4Ghz on Air but you'll need really good air cooling to maintain that overclock.

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Some can get theirs to 4Ghz on Air but you'll need really good air cooling to maintain that overclock.

well i only have 5 120mm fans in my case(on on the CPU heat sink which is a Thermaltake minityphoon modified for the fan) and a 80mm exhaust so i don't think im lacking in airflow, lol.

Not the best pic i have taken, used my phone. not intending to post it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts