Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been a lurker for a while and recently decided to try my luck on overclocking the PII 940 BE.

So I have a Cooler Master V8 cooling my stock voltage PII 940. I did a 12 hour burn in and found it stable at 3.48Ghz (14.5 x 240). With Cool n Quiet on my rig idles at 30C, with Prime95 my cores max out at 52C. My ambient temp is about 20C.

My load temperature seems hotter than what others report with the V8. Did I do anything wrong with the installation? I applied and spread Artic Silver 5 on my CPU and slapped my V8 on it. I am trying to get more information before resitting the V8 because it's a lot of work on


--------------------
Antec 900
Asus M4A79 Deluxe
Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.48 Ghz (14.5 x 240)
Cooler Master V8 cooler
GSkill 2x2Gb
Sapphire 4870 512mb
Corsair 850TX PSU
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Prime95 completely maxes out all of your cores to 100% use. What people mean by load, I think, is how it runs games or other software such as video rendering and that kind of stuff. There is absolutely no other application that puts as much stress on the CPU as P95 therefore it gives highest temps. When I game, my temps never go above 45C. With P95, they have reached 54C.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response heyman. I've been reading a lot about overclocking but it's my first time actually doing it.

I take it from your post that my setup is fine? Apart from lapping if I really want to I probably don't have to worry about resitting it?
 

·
Efficiencycionado
Joined
·
5,587 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi gerikoh,

Yes I had my fun running at max (2000rpm) during the Prime95 burn-in. Left it running Prime95 and went to work, came back after 12 hours and saw the max temperature was at 52C.

Interestingly, when I set my fan to low (1200rpm) the temperature at load was only about 2C (54C~) higher. I'll do some more tests tonight when I get home and report back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
No problem.
Yeah, your setup is fine. I have never lapped any cooler before and I have hardly any idea what that it, so I can't help you on that. lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Shado
View Post

Hi all,

Been a lurker for a while and recently decided to try my luck on overclocking the PII 940 BE.

So I have a Cooler Master V8 cooling my stock voltage PII 940. I did a 12 hour burn in and found it stable at 3.48Ghz (14.5 x 240). With Cool n Quiet on my rig idles at 30C, with Prime95 my cores max out at 52C. My ambient temp is about 20C.

My load temperature seems hotter than what others report with the V8. Did I do anything wrong with the installation? I applied and spread Artic Silver 5 on my CPU and slapped my V8 on it. I am trying to get more information before resitting the V8 because it's a lot of work on


You should disable Cool N Quiet since you're overclocking. Not sure on the exact reason behind that, but I've read multiple overclocking guides that all say to disable Cool N Quiet before you overclock. Maybe you can get even higher OCs, good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by heyman
View Post

Prime95 completely maxes out all of your cores to 100% use. What people mean by load, I think, is how it runs games or other software such as video rendering and that kind of stuff. There is absolutely no other application that puts as much stress on the CPU as P95 therefore it gives highest temps. When I game, my temps never go above 45C. With P95, they have reached 54C.

Not true. OCCT and Orthos. And there is always the big daddy of stress tests, Linpack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
try this over clock.

multi: 16
red. clock: 231
vcore: 1.34

same cooler and cpu i had before and it was completely stable. dont know how your mobo will hold up to it though.
 

·
Efficiencycionado
Joined
·
5,587 Posts
hmm try voltage of 1.55, add 0.2v to northbridge and a 0.2v to the ram then multi to 20
. and if you're confident enough, try vcpu of 1.6 then multi to hmm 20+ish
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,289 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by JadedFloridian
View Post

You should disable Cool N Quiet since you're overclocking. Not sure on the exact reason behind that, but I've read multiple overclocking guides that all say to disable Cool N Quiet before you overclock. Maybe you can get even higher OCs, good luck.


cool n queit was known to lead to instability, but eh back on topic 52C is fine if that was after 12 hours for gaming and such you'll proply not come close to putting all your cores at 100% load for 12 hours so i would not really worry about it
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,547 Posts
Your temps is perfectly fine, Like they said, youll almost never see full load,,, soo don't gauge your temps off of something that throttles,,, gl,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I still don't really know much about overclocking but I been playing around with it with my current rig. I been running prime95 for 10+hours to test the stability out and so far I got it at [email protected]

The temps I can getting seem to be a little high though because when its idle it ranges 34-38 and at load I've never seen it top 52.

I'm thinking I need to get some better paste n resit the heat sink? I really have no idea why I used the thermal paste the cooler came with.
any recommendations? I was thinking AS5?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top