1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working on a friends pc.

Parts are OCZ 2x2GB 1600 8-8-8-24 1.9V
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
I left everything on auto(well I started up in auto took readings and set those in the bios so it didn't try to add more voltage to other parts)
Ram was at 1066
NB at 2000
HT Link 2000

What is the best "Quick test" to run for trying out the OC? I was using prime 95 max fpu(dunno if I should try another test or software for a quick stability check) Plan to run prime 95 blend over night once we are finished

Getting to 3.6 took no effort.

3.8 Required 1.5V to run more than 10min on prime95(Manually stopped the workers)

couldn't get prime95 to run more than a few seconds at 3.9 with 1.53V.

I was just increasing the multiplier to get to this

Then I increased the cpu bus, and got 3.85 running for over 10 min(Manually stopped the test)

Not sure if another technique could yield better results but open to suggestions..

Also temps where fine, AOD and hardware monitor reported temps below 51 at 1.53V

Next we are OC'ing the NB, going to do some tests at 2600, 2800, 3000 and going to test the ram at 1333 and 1600 and see which gives better results, I read a post earlier showing 1333 outperforming 1600.

Any suggestions on the cpu or is 3.85 going to be the max

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is this the max speed I"m going to get?

Also the ram we got is OCZ and has a rated voltage of 1.9..

Can I go up to 1.9V on the ram?

Also what is max NB Voltage that we can run, trying to get the NB to 2800 now and it appears it needs 1.3 or more.

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
3.85-3.9 seems to be a cut off for some of these chips. Dont be too ashamed if you couldn't push it further.

your cpu voltage seems fine. However you need to check those ram timings. I dont know much about DDR3, so you need to refer to your manual about RAM timmings

Second is that I would really recommend increasing the NB frequency to around 2600mhz if you plan on overclocking that high. I would also consider bumping up the NB voltage to around 1.3-1.35. I wouldn't suggest going any higher than that.

If 1.53V doesnt work, try bumping it up just a smudge. Maybe 1.55-1.60V

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cletas
View Post

Is this the max speed I"m going to get?

Also the ram we got is OCZ and has a rated voltage of 1.9..

Can I go up to 1.9V on the ram?

Also what is max NB Voltage that we can run, trying to get the NB to 2800 now and it appears it needs 1.3 or more.

If you reducing the RAM speed from 1600-1333, it doesn't make much sense to bump up the voltages on it. Keep the voltages on stock

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot.

What we currently got to boot is 3853 with 1.5V on the cpu
NB at 2600 with one tick below 1.3V
Ram currently at 1333 with 6-6-6-(forgot this number) timings, we tightned the timings on the ram.

voltage on the ram is 1.7V, newegg specs say that it is 1.9V. So I assume that we can up the volts to 1.9 and be safe.

Current specs run superPI 16M test.

But fails fast on a prime95 blend.

I assume it is the ram, or nb.

For some reason we can't get memtest86+ to run, dunno if it is the cdrom or what cause the cd works on his older pc. (Yes cdrom is set to boot first)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, if it keeps failing at 3853 going to back it down to 3.8 seems the c2 hit a wall at 3.8 like you said.

Thanks for the everest info, will run it to test it..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts