Overclock.net banner

AMD Phenom II x3 720 Black Edtion owners!

12496 Views 33 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  elito
Well some of you know, that the 720's fourth core can be unlocked on certain boards with different ACC coding. When I ordered my 720 I knew it could be unlocked but my bios wouldn't do it.

Gigabyte on march 10th released an updated bios to some boards including mine, the ga-ma790x-ud4, The bios updated information says just this "Update ACC code for Phenom X3 CPU "

I just updated my bios right now set ACC to per core, and tada! CPUZ lists 4 cores, now this is at stock speeds as I just got the fourth unlocked.

here is a link to my board http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=3002

and the list of the bios updates to that board. It seems the ma790x-ud4 and the GA-MA790X-UD4P are the only ones on gigabytes site to list the update to the 720 ACC change.

Just thought I would give you fellow gigabyters/720 owners a heads up, I'm very happy they decided to release the updated ACC bios.

Gigabyte boards so far with updated released Bios to Support fourth core unlock:
GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
GA-MA790X-UD4P
GA-MA790X-UD4
See less See more
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
im thinkin bout a new gigabyte board myself. mine works great but it wont unlock my 4th core
Have you tried overclocking with the 4th core enabled?
Add GA-MA790FXT-UD5P to the list as well. I unlocked the 4th core few hours ago and doing prime95 for the last couple hours @3.5ghz all cores.
See less See more
what processor did the 720BE fall off
also can someone please start a 720BE thread so we have one place to look at and post at
See less See more
A little update my fourth core is not even stable @ stock 2 seconds into prime 95 it freezes. There is also a serious issue with the new f2a bios when you do unlock the fourth core or turn on ACC, you can't read your temps on any program(core temp,ATI overdrive ETC.) They will either say 0c or -256c.

Good luck to everyone else
See less See more
Im pretty sure there is already a thread with this started.
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaniaci
View Post

Im pretty sure there is already a thread with this started.

I searched and didn't see anything, instead of saying there "might" be a thread post a link so I don't have to bump it.
See less See more
AHAHA YES! I DONT HAVE TO GET THE DAMN GX VERSION! AHAH YES! but..the GX has a dual heatpipe lay out on the board and i like that idea ~_~ but should i just save myself the couple $$? and just get the ud4? i have a 720 just laying on my bed..LOL
Quote:

Originally Posted by vincentfkc
View Post

i need "GA-MA790GP-UD4H " comon gigabyte

that board is able to unlock it, its been confirmed, check the amd mobo section theres a thread there...
See less See more
funny thing, i think they've took it off? i visited the site and no such bios anymore..o boy..there goes my ud4P dreams..

**nvm, it seems like theyve taken it off the TW site and its still availible in US site. =D
just got my 720 BE, had it at 4.0ghz although not stabble,

although occt 1 hour stabble:

cpu Freq:3.7ghz
Multi:18.5
HT link Speed: 2000
NB:2200
Ram: 1067
vcore:1.5125
Temps: idle 24'c, load 35.5'c

My cooling soulution:
See less See more
So is it worth buying a 720BE and trying to unlock the fourth core instead of just buying an 810?
Hooray! Once I get my 720 I will update as to how high I can OC this.

I <3 Gigabyte.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sozin
View Post

So is it worth buying a 720BE and trying to unlock the fourth core instead of just buying an 810?

its a hit or miss really. since now the 810 can unlock to use full 6MB of cache aswell..so the choice its up to you. but like most apps and games atm, the sweetspot seems to be most effective @ 2-3 cores..so tahts another reason why theres a tri core community.
See less See more
Bah, I'm just so confused over all these triple and quad core AMD CPUs...I can't figure out which one to get.

If it's hit or miss I might as well invest in a quad core then.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sozin View Post
Bah, I'm just so confused over all these triple and quad core AMD CPUs...I can't figure out which one to get.

If it's hit or miss I might as well invest in a quad core then.
I feel that if you feel you need an update, theres a few options:
Unlocked multi?
2,3 or 4 Core's
Budget.

If you want a quad and NOT a triple go for the 810 and 920, if you want to overclock it, and have some fun get the 940.

Im happy with my 720 BE, but quads may be more future proof, if your not like me, who updates every year or so, 810 would be the chip of chose.

I feel that some time next year i will end up getting a 940 BE just for fun.

Will
See less See more
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
Quote:

Originally Posted by elito
View Post

that board is able to unlock it, its been confirmed, check the amd mobo section theres a thread there...

thanx, i just checked, but it seems that i don;t have the luck, 4th core is failure even i have 0904 - -
See less See more
mine unlocks but i cant see the temps on all 4 cores and i had my smart fan on lol so i guess it was running at the slowest fan speed and shut down my pc lol then i was able to boot and it said x4 20 processor... oh well im back to my 3 core and im happy with it
if i get a chance to upgrade probably ill play with the 4th core and see if i can stabilize it
See less See more
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.