Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, how high can I get this chip without ruining it? Currently stock voltage and right now I have it running 3304mhz. I was hoping to get it a bit higher, especially since I installed the Dark Knight heatsink and fan. I ran Prime95 for roughly 20 mins no problem. My only concern is high temp. Also what software should I use to monitor temp after making adjustments in the bios? Thanks again.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
what are your exact temps?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using CPU ID HW Monitor, I'm getting 53C for value, 41C min and 55C max. Also to note, I did apply the Artic Silver 5 according to the link that was posted here. Guess I should note, thats under full load right now running Prime95.

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
May want to reseat the cooler. Xigmateks can be a pain to install properly, especially with TIM application. Those temps are pretty high for stock voltages. Mine got to 59C when I upped the CPU Voltage to 1.7V (ya, I know, not smart). 55C or so is about the limit you should shoot for, but that cooler is capable of much better.

Definitely try reseating your cooler.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured I should try reseating the HS and fan. So I tried that while waiting for answers here and I'm getting around 49C for value, 41C for min and 54C at max. So it's looking a little better with HS placement. Do these temps seem to be in a pretty decent range. I definitely agree that placement with this heatsink is key as there is allot of room for play.

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
They still seem too high for stock voltages, to me.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
you'll have to wait for the curing time of that as5. give it about at least a 2-3 days.

also, you might wanna check this thread. it's exactly what i thought it was, but it varies though. but at least there are a lot of ph2 owners like me having the same problem
http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/51...ml#post6425727

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
If you cycle back and forth between full load (Prime 95, CPU Burn-In, etc) and shutting the computer down, it will cure faster.

So, run Prime95 for 20 minutes or so, shut down the computer for 10-15 minutes, and repeat. It will cure the AS5 faster and hopefully your temps will improve.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p
View Post

They still seem too high for stock voltages, to me.

What would be ideal temps so I can continue trying to work with this. Obviously increasing voltage would increase temp, correct? Again my 1st time overclocking so just making sure I'm on the right path.

Edit: Looking at Speedfan temp 1 is giving me 33C , Temp 2 49, Temp3 45, Core is 48, thing is I'm kinda new to speedfan, though I'm sure it can't be that difficult to understand. I'll check the temps in my bios again and see what I come up with also.

So once the TIM "cures" I should see a slight performance gain there also correct? So am I really safe to go further or should I focus on the heatsink and placement?

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by R3d T34rz
View Post

What would be ideal temps so I can continue trying to work with this. Obviously increasing voltage would increase temp, correct? Again my 1st time overclocking so just making sure I'm on the right path.

that is correct

Quote:

Edit: Looking at Speedfan temp 1 is giving me 33C , Temp 2 49, Temp3 45, Core is 48, thing is I'm kinda new to speedfan, though I'm sure it can't be that difficult to understand. I'll check the temps in my bios again and see what I come up with also.

temp1 sounds about right at stock volts for your 720be. what are your room temps btw?

Quote:

So once the TIM "cures" I should see a slight performance gain there also correct? So am I really safe to go further or should I focus on the heatsink and placement?

you should see about 4c in temp difference. but that is still too high for stock volts.

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
Probably somewhere in the low 40s for full load is what I would aim for. Assuming ambient temps aren't ridiculously high.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided to start fresh and take my cooler off again. I made sure the heatsink was seated correctly and even on all sides. I also added a pea size drop of AS5 on my CPU. Much better results with idle temps around 30C. I took my FSB up to 250 and ran Prime95 which failed roughly after 5-6 mins. Bumped up the voltage to 1.37 and have been running Prime 95 for the past 4 hrs with no problems. Full load Im getting temps around 45-46C. Can I go further or should I hold off here?

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
You are safe until around 55C or 1.6V, whichever comes first. I tried to brute force through my CPU's wall by going to 1.7V and it only got to 59C. Chances are somewhere around 3.5 GHz is your wall anyway (mine was at 3.6) so now is the time to start tweaking voltages, multipliers, etc to get the highest stable NB and HTT clocks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent PT thanks. I would also like to get my mem timings down just unsure how but I'll keep working it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts