Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am not sure if anyone can answer myquestion, but here it is:

How high can i go with OCing AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3.0Ghz with Mushkin HP3-10666 DDR3-1333MHz 8GB 7-7-7-20 (stock) on a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P Socket AM3 board?

How high can i expect my memory go and how high can i expect CPU go with a decent air cooling?

Thanks.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
well, i don't think a 940be can use ddr3 unless someone made a mod of it. have it replaced with a 955be and you'll probably be hitting 3.8-4ghz with it.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
it's only an am2+ processor. meanwhile only am3 cpus have the right pin configuration to use ddr3. unless amd made an memory controller on the motherboard.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubashka
View Post

Why can't you use ddr3 with 940be???

am2+ doesn't have a cpu memory controller, meaning the motherboard controller the memory, so ddr2 only. AM3 chips have a cpu memory controller, so they can use ddr3 as well as ddr2. With the setup you listed, definitely get a 955BE. Also, the only cpu's that would work, and physically fit in an AM3 mobo would be a AM3 cpu, since AM3 is a 938 pin cpu, vs. the am2/am2+ 940 pin.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I guess 945be will work with ddr3? its an AM3 socket.

Is there a huge differece between 945be and 955be? 3.0ghz vs 3.2ghz ?

Yes it will.
And the difference is 0.2 Ghz, but if you OC I don't think the 945 is unlocked.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The 955 is black edition, which means it has an unlocked multi, which makes OCing a bit easier and some would argue more potential OCability. the 945 has a locked multi. I'd vote 955 since it's not that much price increase.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I guess 945be will work with ddr3? its an AM3 socket.

Is there a huge differece between 945be and 955be? 3.0ghz vs 3.2ghz ?

unlocked multi for the 955be makes an easier overclock, so you won't have to worry about your mobo and ram. although i think that mobo and ram choice isn't something that you should worry about. it'll be fine the the 945

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.