Banned
4,674 Posts
Both are good buys

Although i think the 955 might oc futher as they came in c3 revisions aswell

Get the 955 over the 965, make sure its a c3 since both will oc as far

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I would at least go with the C3 revision 945 that Newegg sells. Isn't the 940 a C2? Of course 955 is better yet.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i can get a 940 easily from a store near me but if i want to get a 955 i will have to get it online

·
Banned
4,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by computer/noob View Post
i can get a 940 easily from a store near me but if i want to get a 955 i will have to get it online
Price difference?

Stock cooler or aftermarket?

955 will probably oc further

·
Banned
4,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by computer/noob
View Post

im not sure bout the price, ill be using the cooler i have now the Xigmatek Dark knight

Yeah get the 955 i guess, if it isnt that much more, its worth it since it will oc well

·
Registered
741 Posts
955/965 definitely.

I'm sure you'd like to upgrade eventually. Since Bulldozer is going to be only on AM3+ and AM3 CPUs will be compatible on an AM3+ board, getting another AM2+ CPU doesn't seem worth it unless it's very, very cheap.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i cant upgrade very often being in college and all so i dont think i will be able to get a new mobo for bulldozer any time soon. this is why i chose a mobo that can use AM3 CPU's so that i can get an upgrade quickly.

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
It's going to depend on price. If you can get a REALLY good deal on the 940 then go for it. Otherwise, if you're talking like $10-20 I would get a 955 C3.

·
Banned
11,136 Posts
I am still using a 940 with 1066 ddr2. I love it.. It is super fast with my SSD. and my Raptor. I am waiting for the bulldozer to come out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts