1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
my ram is 1600mhz and i had a 955 it had no trouble with staying stable on 1600mhz i was also using a XA-UD3 aswell which isn't much different from that FXA-UD3, just make sure you do the timings right and set it to 1600mhz should be good to go. it's when you add more then 2 ram sticks that becomes a issue for the Proccessor specially in the stability department if you plan on OCing .

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have that processor at stock speeds at the moment, and I have 8GB's of RAM clocked at 1600Mhz. Its stable and no problems at all.

I just went into my BIOS and changed one setting and it was running at 1600MHz. I've never looked back since. Infact, changing it up to 1600MHz from 1333Mhz has given my RAM a 0.1 increase in the WEI!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkoXan View Post

it's when you add more then 2 ram sticks that becomes a issue for the Proccessor specially in the stability department if you plan on OCing .
This is not a problem for me. I am running 4 sticks atm.

Jdean123

·
Banned
4,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aregvan View Post

AH I see just change it from BIOS!
thumb.gif

BUT could I buy another pack of that same RAM, and have 16 GBS, 4 GB each, and stable 1600MHZ?
Yes you can but what in the world would you do with 16 gigs of RAM ??
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Quote:

AH I see just change it from BIOS!
thumb.gif

BUT could I buy another pack of that same RAM, and have 16 GBS, 4 GB each, and stable 1600MHZ?
i had 16gb ram at 1600 with 965x4 easy,i think the 965x4 is limited to 1866 ram speed. i took out 2 sticks wich gave me 8gb memory,seemed to overclock easier and stayed stable.ya like what r u gonna do with 16gbs memory,8 is plenty for now

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkX 1 View Post

Yes you can but what in the world would you do with 16 gigs of RAM ??
biggrin.gif
Oh alright thanks!

I willy buy 8GB for BF3, gaming, and Video rendering, and add another 2x4gb much MUCH later on!

SO in two years you are going to say: "WOW, you only have 12 GB or RAM! ahha"

But yeah 8gb for now is FINE
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
The C3 revision of the 965 can run 4 DIMMs of 1600Mhz memory with no issue and with no requirement for bus clock increase through the (often undocumented) x8 memory multiplier.

Video rendering (editing?) and BF3 are both very bandwidth intensive so look for high speed RAM or RAM you know could overclock to higher speeds (i.e. min DDR3-1600 kits, avoid generic 1333 kits)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

The C3 revision of the 965 can run 4 DIMMs of 1600Mhz memory with no issue and with no requirement for bus clock increase through the (often undocumented) x8 memory multiplier.

Video rendering (editing?) and BF3 are both very bandwidth intensive so look for high speed RAM or RAM you know could overclock to higher speeds (i.e. min DDR3-1600 kits, avoid generic 1333 kits)
Yes editing, and 3ds max rendering. Yeah I guess I will buy 2 sticks 4gb 1600 Corsair Vengeance or G skill when the time comes. Thanks for all the help!
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer park boy View Post

i had 16gb ram at 1600 with 965x4 easy,i think the 965x4 is limited to 1866 ram speed. i took out 2 sticks wich gave me 8gb memory,seemed to overclock easier and stayed stable.ya like what r u gonna do with 16gbs memory,8 is plenty for now
Why did you have 16gbs? Sale?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkoXan View Post

alot of people had issues running high overclocks with 4 dimms which also impacted system performance
redface.gif
your probably one of the lucky ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

I have a C3 revision, so thats probably why. When I get around to a 24/7 overclock, rather than the occasional, then I'll probably find a limit up there (hopefully a temperature limit, rather than a hardware incompatibility problem).

Jdean123

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Quote:

Why did you have 16gbs? Sale?
ya they were a great deal, less than 100 if i remember right for all 4

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Quote:

WOW not bad, not bad at all.
But wouldn't it be cheaper to have bought when you actually need another 8gb?[/quote i was more concerned with one not working and being stuck with one stick and really pissed off about it

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
im also planning a upgrade for my stepdaughter now that i got those extra sticks"makes a good excuse to tell the wife"

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
she got a am2 board right now,so if buy her a am3 ddr3 MOB i will need a another chip so she can have my 965x4 and im gonna get 1100 or 8170,8150 ????????

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer park boy View Post

she got a am2 board right now,so if buy her a am3 ddr3 MOB i will need a another chip so she can have my 965x4 and im gonna get 1100 or 8170,8150 ????????
I read many places that the FXs sucks really bad. Dont waste money on that, stick with 1100t, very nice CPU.

BUT depends on what you want, for gaming get 1100t, for multi task, and video rendering, FX, for the extra cores.
wink.gif

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Quote:

I read many places that the FXs sucks really bad. Dont waste money on that, stick with 1100t, very nice CPU.

BUT depends on what you want, for gaming get 1100t, for multi task, and video rendering, FX, for the extra cores.
wink.gif
Don't believe everything you read because there is a lot of mis-information posted online.
wink.gif

The 1100T as well as the FX CPUs are a very good upgrade for most people. The FX OC's hgher than the PII series and scales well so don't write the FX series off due to the higher price. See the Bulldozer Owner's thread for a lot of data on the FX CPUs and how much fun they are to OC.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1139726/amd-fx-bulldozer-owners-club

1 - 20 of 22 Posts