Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok building my first gaming computer and I want to do it right with a cost of no more than $1000.00+/-$200.00

Currently I have decided on

AMD Phenom II X4 970 BE
ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
XFX HD-583X-ZAFV Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
-- About $750.00 on Newegg

Still deciding
Case/PSU
DVD Blu Ray Drives

Im looking for something that is fairly high end but upgradeable later. This is why I like the MB, it has the new end tech on it built in.

What am I missing? Whats wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cguertler View Post
Ok building my first gaming computer and I want to do it right with a cost of no more than $1000.00+/-$200.00

Currently I have decided on

AMD Phenom II X4 970 BE
ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
XFX HD-583X-ZAFV Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
-- About $750.00 on Newegg

Still deciding
Case/PSU
DVD Blu Ray Drives

Im looking for something that is fairly high end but upgradeable later. This is why I like the MB, it has the new end tech on it built in.

What am I missing? Whats wrong?
that all looks good to me, i would try and get something alittle stronger on the videocard side, atleast a 5850. You might even be better off building a new system and waiting alittle bit to buy a videocard being the new ones are around the corner. As far as psu, you cant go wrong with corsair/seasonic PSU. they can be alittle expensive, but dont get a cheap psu. Get atleast a 750w so you have the power if you want to run crossfire later. this case looks awesome, alittle pricey tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
Why r u using 8GBs of ram? Unless u have to do some hardcore video encoding or working with huge raw files 4 is plenty enough. Also a 1GB GTX 460 is also in league with the 5830/5850.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok good to hear, i can up to the 5850 video card for about 100.00 bucks.

My later upgrades would be a new mother board so I can cross fire i suppose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDub07 View Post
Why r u using 8GBs of ram? Unless u have to do some hardcore video encoding or working with huge raw files 4 is plenty enough. Also a 1GB GTX 460 is also in league with the 5830/5850.
i thought about suggesting the 460 but he chose a crossfire motherboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Things i would change:

get a 965 instead of a 970 cuz it overclocks better
get 4gb 1600 instead of 6gb 1333 (8gb is really overkill) (maybe with the balance you could get a second hdd for raid0 or even an ssd)
swap 5830 for gtx 460 1gb and your good to go

proof that gtx 460 1gb beats 5830 for the same price:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/171?vs=180
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cguertler View Post
Ok good to hear, i can up to the 5850 video card for about 100.00 bucks.

My later upgrades would be a new mother board so I can cross fire i suppose.
honestly, what i would do is try to find you a good used 5850/5870 if you cant wait. i saw a 5870 the other day on another forum for $265.00 also, most 5850's will overclock to 5870 speeds. i think the 6xxx series is rumored to be launching on october 14 so you might be better off waiting just a wee bit longer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDub07 View Post
Why r u using 8GBs of ram? Unless u have to do some hardcore video encoding or working with huge raw files 4 is plenty enough. Also a 1GB GTX 460 is also in league with the 5830/5850.
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) for $ 85.00 CAS goes from 9 to 7, better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by polm View Post
Things i would change:

get a 965 instead of a 970 cuz it overclocks better
get 4gb 1600 instead of 6gb 1333 (8gb is really overkill) (maybe with the balance you could get a second hdd for raid0 or even an ssd)
swap 5830 for gtx 460 1gb and your good to go

proof that gtx 460 1gb beats 5830 for the same price:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/171?vs=180
who says a 965 overclocks better than a 970? please post the article. generally, you should be getting a higher quality chip in theory getting a 970 over the 965.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMcDougal View Post
honestly, what i would do is try to find you a good used 5850/5870 if you cant wait. i saw a 5870 the other day on another forum for $265.00 also, most 5850's will overclock to 5870 speeds. i think the 6xxx series is rumored to be launching on october 14 so you might be better off waiting just a wee bit longer
Well then just wait, cause I was planning on building around Christmas, so who knows what it will be then!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMcDougal View Post
who says a 965 overclocks better than a 970? please post the article. generally, you should be getting a higher quality chip in theory getting a 970 over the 965.
in theory, except, the 965 has a higher max voltage wich is 1.55 while the 970's max voltage is only 1.4... wich means you can go at higher clock speeds since you can put more voltage...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cguertler View Post
Well then just wait, cause I was planning on building around Christmas, so who knows what it will be then!
lol, honestly, you will need to repost this again in december because things change very fast. prices drop, new products come out,etc...ill answer your thread in decemer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMcDougal View Post
this case looks awesome, alittle pricey tho.
Not too bad on price of the case but this case design will not allow the placement of your beer or an ashtray on top. Nice looking case and looks to hold most gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by polm View Post
in theory, except, the 965 has a higher max voltage wich is 1.55 while the 970's max voltage is only 1.4... wich means you can go at higher clock speeds since you can put more voltage...
alot of people are claiming getting 4.0ghz with low 1.4's with the 970...obviously every chip is different. to save money i would go with a 965 or even a 955
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyOcean View Post
Not too bad on price of the case but this case design will not allow the placement of your beer or an ashtray on top. Nice looking case and looks to hold most gear.
your putting your beer down? i thought they stayed in your hand until it was gone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Hey every1. got a question for all of you AMD overclockers.

I have a AMD Phenom II X4 970. want to OC it to 4,1 MHZ and 1,4 V. Heard this is possible. I'm installing a Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler for the processor. Is that ok for OC to 4,1 MHZ?

Also i have a XFX Radeon 5850 BE, its currently running on GPU clock 775 MHZ, and Memory clock 1125 MHZ. Possible to get it up a notch?

How to do it? And will i need to install i.e. a Zalman VF3000A GPU Cooler?

So the general idea is, how to do this?=)

Thanks in advance:drum:
Vegard, NOR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,621 Posts
rebby2 you should definitely not do that on that board, due to weak VRM system it is not safe. It is actually far from safe. That board is a known blow-upper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Okei. thanks for the heads up=)!

so you would recommend getting a better Motherboard to do OCing?
Any suggestions?

So you actually wouldnt recommend doing any OC'n on GPU, RAM og CPU?

Best Regards
Vegard, NOR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,621 Posts
Of course, something with a decent 8+2 VRM i.e. ASRock 880G-Extreme3, ASUS M4A79XTD EVO [watch for vDroop on this board though], Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3.... great choices at the $100 range. GPU and RAM Oc-ing would be fine, but I don't recommend CPU OC-ing on CPU until you can get a better board. RAM.... being generic 1333 CL9 and 4GB DIMM, don't expect too much
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top