Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I am quite baffled at this build for my buddy. Maybe you guys can help me out..

So here is the build:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Motherboard: MSI 890GXM-G65 AM3 AMD 890GX
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W

I put it together, ran Memtest .. got to 50% on the first test and restarted. Did it a couple more times with the same result, though it was probably the RAM and RMA'd it. New RAM came in a week later, installed it and achieved the same result from memtest86+. Thought it was the motherboard, so without time to RMA it (my buddy is now breathing down my back for it), I purchased a NEW motherboard:

New Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX

Put everything back together, booted up, ran Memtest86+ again, and the system rebooted itself at 50% on the first test. Aggravated, I decided to test each stick individually. To my surprise, each stick ran fine if it were run by itself. I tried putting both RAM in dual channel mode and single channel mode. I get the same result either way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Try upping the ddr voltage a bit; I had the same problem!
Had to go over voltage specs a bit for stability

Mine are set to 1.67v

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, well, I kept the ASUS board in. Zhany was sort of right, as the version of Memtest86+ I was using was 3.5 and is unstable for 4GB of RAM. On the MSI motherboard, I played around with Voltages and timings, with the same result (Freezing in Windows 7). I did not know about the bug in Memtest86+ v3.5 when I had the MSI board and for practical reasons, I am not going to tear it apart just to put it back in. At first, the RAM was being powered at 1.55v automatically. It gave an unexpected exception error at Pass #1, test #3 (and stopped the test). I increased the voltage to 1.65v and Memtest86+ version 3.4 is at it's 4th pass right now.

The thing I don't get it the fact that when I had the MSI motherboard in (and now I can not state for a fact weather the Memory was bad or not due to the flaw in Memtest that I did not see until later) Windows 7 x64 would lock up and require a reboot. I have yet to install windows 7 again, but I'm going to assume one of two things:

1) Older SATA Hard Drive from his last computer (320GB)
2) The MSI motherboard is bad.

Both of them are very possible, even maybe that a setting in the MSI motherboard did not agree with the hard drive, causing it to lock? (I don't know, I'm going out on a whim here). I will let you guys know what happens with the Asus board. Any suggestions for features I should and should not have on an older HDD and a newer motherboard?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay guys, well the Memtest86+ has been running for a little over 25 hours. Last time I checked it was on it's 3rd or 4th pass, but I went downstairs and it was on it's 8th, and I saw it had come up with errors.

What would cause memory to be okay for the first couple of passes, then throw errors in the later passes?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Starting to get really aggravated now. Ran Memtest86+ for 48 hours and all was well, put windows 7 on it. Was working fine for me. Now, my buddy complains that it's randomly BSOD and shutting down. I've about had it..

Any suggestions .. pretty please?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts