Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys
i just got a new Thermaltake V9 case and upgraded from gigabyte 770 to 880 MB and now my cpu is over heating under 100% load, jumping from a idle temp of 38c to 70-75c in a few seconds. i have a artic cooling freezer xtreme rev2 cpu cooler and i have checked and rechecked the thermal paste on the heatsink. before the new case it used to run at around 58-60c at 100% load. i have tried updating the bios but that didn't help. i went to the computer shop and the guy told me i need water cooling but i know that's not true because it used to run ok in my old case.
any ideas what i can do to fix this?
here's a link with cpu at 100% load
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4621/amdrd.jpg

·
Still on Sandy Bridge
1,375 Posts
Your heatsink can't be mounted correctly.

I almost can't believe I'm seeing those temps at stock voltage and clocks.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I used to have that cooler!!
There is something very wrong.. either way to much thermal paste, if so take it all off and apply some new stuff, but remember less is more! so dab a tiny amount and evenly apply it across the CPU.
If that dont work try resetting your heat sink, you may have it too loose or way to tight, do it up just anough ( shouldnt really do it ) so you can pick the cooler and it doesnt move when attached to the motherboard.
Also airflow.. how many fans etc do you have in your case and have you set them up in a certain config?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepergsr View Post
is the cpu overclock?
looks stock....
So my guess is reseat or clean the dust out of the stock fan

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AK-47 View Post
looks stock....
So my guess is reseat or clean the dust out of the stock fan
this. make sure in the bios you disable cool and quiet and c1e. make sure the fan is spining at the max. for stock..that is horrible. my 965 with a stock cooler only hits 54c. can you take a picture of your rig so we can see whats going on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so i'm going to take out the artic cooling freezer xtreme tomorrow and give it a good wipe down and start fresh with some better paste this time, hopefully it will fix it up. if not i'm looking at getting the Corsair Hydro Series H50. any thoughts on that guys? or should i go for a cheaper new cpu fan and see if that fixes the problem?.

·
Banned
9,168 Posts
You should try lowering the voltage.

One board might produce 55C @ 1.55 vcore stable, whereas another might only require 1.45vcore stable, but still produce 55C temps.

Worth a shot anyways!

Edit: Woah, never mind just read your temps, reseat required, danger, danger!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts