Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have heard that the athlon 64 is basically the same chip with different factory OC's is the same for fx's, opteron dual cores, and 4400+ X2s? and i have the opteron 165 unnopened, 64kbx2 L1 cache, the OEM with out heat sink has 128kbx2 of L1 cache, should i RMA it and get the OEM one? the reason i am uncertian is because ive heard that OEM doesnt get nearly as good OC results as regular. please reply ASAP

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Well, I've never heard about probs with OEM vs boxed, but if the OEM has larger caches, then yeah definitly RMA. Make sure that's correct though, because I think all opterons have 64Kb for data and instructions each. Of course, you also lose the warranty with OEM.
See here http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...6_9240,00.html
As for chip similarities, I don't know. But I'm sure they have a lot in common.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Don't get OEM. No warranty.

Besides...ALL processors are the "same chip" basically. All the chips in one "family" are the same. The northwood, the prescott, the venice, the sandiego, the toledo....all of those chips...the numbers mean nothing other than it has a different multi.

and if OEM says more cache...it's wrong. They're all the same. It's a typo.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Never heard of such rumour either, but nonetheless, I don't think a retail chip would OC better vs an OEM one, its plain luck and skills which I lack >.>

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideburns

Don't get OEM. No warranty.

Besides...ALL processors are the "same chip" basically. All the chips in one "family" are the same. The northwood, the prescott, the venice, the sandiego, the toledo....all of those chips...the numbers mean nothing other than it has a different multi.

and if OEM says more cache...it's wrong. They're all the same. It's a typo.

You heard the man.

An A64 3200 is no different from a 3000 other than on avg the 3200's clock better and the multiplier is different. What, did you think they worked their butts off designing a new core for a 3200? Duh, it's all the same stuff; they just disable that cache there (1mb vs 512 vs 256 vs 128) or lock the multiplier (or not in FX's) to a such number....they did the same with Athlon XP's, remember?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ouroboros1827

You heard the man.

An A64 3200 is no different from a 3000 other than on avg the 3200's clock better and the multiplier is different. What, did you think they worked their butts off designing a new core for a 3200? Duh, it's all the same stuff; they just disable that cache there (1mb vs 512 vs 256 vs 128) or lock the multiplier (or not in FX's) to a such number....they did the same with Athlon XP's, remember?

The cache isn't different amongst same core chips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts