Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys my AMD r9 290 Is likely suffering from a alot of seems to have suffered performance degradation getting 2400-2500 in Valley Benchmark when it should really be getting 3000 or so.

So anyways Im looking for a modern GPU to match its performance or beat it as the card might die on me when I need my computer working for something.

I was thinking of getting either a 1060 or an 1050ti as I have never ever used a team green card before.

I saw someone overclock a gigabyte 1050ti to 2ghz on the core and have it stable and the performance looked the same as my current card if it was new and not degraded.

I am also considering in waiting for the 1150 ti to come out and pick up one of those would that be a better idea?

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I'd get a 580 or a 1060.

I've never heard of PC components performing worse as time goes on, it should perform the same way until the silicon degrades to the point that a given frequency is no longer stable or it dies from something else like a dead mosfet or cap somewhere.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it clearly has degraded Idk how. It wasn't overclocked most its life of 5 years but i never really benchmarked it and compared to others so it might just been a slow r9 290 ever since I had it. But it consumes alot of power anyways and doesnt give out the performance it should.
Might as well get a replacement gpu in the next few months or so.
Its not showing signs of instability

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
If you say you have less performance on your gpu then I'd start with cleaning OS.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
That's what I was getting at. Hardware doesn't really do what's described above, users do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Usually when a chip degrades gives inestability at a certain frecuency and voltage where it was stable before. For graphics cards performance degradation usually is either software, power limit or thermal throtlling. Use DDU in failure proof mode of Windows for change driver versions.

If you didn't some stuff could help:
- Dissasemble the card , clean the heatsink in deep with an compressed air can, and replace the GPU TIM with a quality one. Stock GPUs TIMs usually degrade thermal conductivity in 2-3 years, a enought amount of dust can block the heatsink airflow too.
- Raise power limit in a tool like MSI Afterburner. This limit usually throttle the card.

About today cards. Forget about GTX 1050 Ti, it is a downgrade. Because of the cryptocurrency bubble GPUs are very expensive. It isn't a good moment to upgrade the GPU. The same models released long time ago double the initial MSRP. From a R9 290, you need a GTX 1060 6 GB or a RX 580 8 GB, and it is still a sidegrade, like 15-20% more performance at 1080p, at higher resolutions performance is almost the same. Those cards however consume a lot less and have lower temps than the 290. For a noticeable performance upgrade you would need GTX 1070 or Vega 56.

However it could be better to wait for replace the card, specially if you manage to solve the 290 issue, that probably will be throttling. Cards before fail usually give inestability/BSODs/reboots/artifacts not degrade performance. Also nVidia GTX 2000 series theorically will come this year. Maybe they're interesting itselves or the current overpriced cards get a nice price cut. Remember about the current GPUs on the consumer market are already 2 years old.

Greetings.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so i have checked the clock speeds and done a benchmark at the same time the card is staying cool at 73 degrees and is staying at its stock 1ghz core speed.

It is a Sapphire OC tri x one btw.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
The card is fine if it works and is stable, when they start going wrong it's usually pretty obvious.

Clean install windows if you haven't done that recently, I do this once every 6 months or so as it's much faster than trying to find every little problem with windows. If you aren't set up with this in mind it can be a pain to sort your data out so I can see why this isn't an attractive option for the way most people use a PC.

Is performance actually bad or did you just see a benchmark you didn't like?

I'm not trying to talk you out of a GPU but if the 290 isn't the problem and you slap a 1080TI in there, odds are it's going to under-perform as well. I doubt anything would bog the GPU down but if the CPU and RAM are bogged down there isn't much the GPU can do as far as games go.
As for which GPU to buy, you can find benchmarks vs 290 for any GPU made, you just have to search. The 8Gb 580 and 1060 are faster, better cards but it isn't by a huge margin, I recommended them because of the OP. GPU prices were crazy, I paid $600 for a used 1080 because I literally had no options left. Now you can get a 1080 and a Vega 64 for under $600 so prices are much better now. I wouldn't hesitate on buying a GPU now but new ones from Nvidia will be here soon. Current cards will be cheaper and new ones should be at MSRP.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have a lot of programs running on windows at one time because I don't set a lot of them to start after boot.
I last did a refresh on windows and kept my files and stuffs sort of reinstall 3 months ago or so.
Updated to the latest driver too didn't change the result. Valley score of 2541 on the Extreme HD Preset.
It seems to performing where it should be now after that driver update the benchmark i found for valley was actually a heavily overclocked so check where your getting your information from gents.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
What information are your referring to exactly?
If you mean the original score you saw, you're exactly right. Firestrike is the same way, usually if I'm trying to see if my system is performing as it should I'll look at benchmarks with my CPU (or similar) and my GPU then I'll look at the scores in the middle.

·
Hmmmmmmm
740 Posts
I try to avoid getting junk running in the background as best I can, still I basically have to reinstall every 2-3 years from scratch to keep it running as smoothly as I want.

I would personally recommend looking for second hand 980s, I don't like the idea of upgrading to new stuff now as the market has not gotten any better for a while. There should be price drops coming in towards the end of the year when the new arch from NV comes out, you might also be able to get good prices on 1060-1080 stuff.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
My 1080 went from $600 used to $600 new...prices have gotten better.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Buying a GPU that isn't a massive upgrade is silly IMO and buying a brand new Nvidia GPU today is equally silly. My point was simply that GPU prices have definitely gone down, in my case by 50%.
30% is optimistic but since it's been about 2 years they might actually do it. The CEO has said before that it's possible for them to make faster GPUs than what they launch, the reason for not doing it had something to do with share holders or something...I can't quite remember.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts