Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

I am a newbie on here... so dont' attack me too quickly...

i dont' know if any of you are fimiliar with the amd retail package that could have been purchased lately. it was a amd 64bit 3200+ with a asus KV8SE deluxe.

I heard about this site through call for help and was wondering if anyone else has this combination or knows about it and exactly how much it can be overclocked with manufactorer heatsink and if anyone has done it yet.

thank you...
i'm interested in trying it out.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Well... first welcome.

Second, of course it can be overclocked. It all depends on the onboard systems you got (ie memory, bios, etc).

Have a look at the AMD overclocking guide. Read your mobo book. A lot of info there. Do not hesitate to ask.

Without knowing anything of your mobo, check if you can change your Front Bus Speed, do not worry about multipliers, your A64 is locked at x11. Read the AMD overclocking guide again. Play with your memory timings. If your computer freezes or locks up, reset the CMOS (instructions in your mobo book). reload default BIOS setting and you are on square one.

I tell you, you will be able to do this by yourself very soon, just make sure you read the literature that came with your motherboard, and the AMD oc guide.

Perhaps in the future, you could upgrade the stock heatsinkand fan, that should give you some room (temperature wise) to oc even more.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You're going to be limited when using the manufacturer heatsink, but you should still be able to squeeze out a little bit of clock speed.

On a scale of 1-10, how familiar would you say you are with computer hardware?

On a scale of 1-10, how familiar would you say you are with the BIOS of a computer?

These two questions will help us get you started overclocking

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Heres the board

ASUS "K8V SE Deluxe" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL

- Specifications -

Supported CPU: Socket 754 for AMD Athlon 64 Processors
Chipset: VIA K8T800 + VT8237
FSB: Hyper Transport
RAM: 3x DIMM for DDR400/333/266 Max 3GB
IDE: 3x ATA 133(1 from Promise 20378) up to 6 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI, 1x Wi-Fi
Ports: 2xPS2,1xCOM,1xLPT,8xUSB2.0(rear 4),1xLAN,2x1394(rear 1),SPDIF Out,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: AD1980 6-Channel audio CODEC
Onboard LAN: Marvell GbE
Onboard SATA/RAID: VT8237, 2xSATA, RAID 0/1; Promise R20378, 2x SATA, RAID 0/1/0+1
Onboard 1394: VIA VT6307, 2 Ports
Form Factor: ATX
Model#: K8V SE DELUXE
Item#: N82E16813131490

Rating:
Vote(s): 195 Review(s): 118
FedEx Saver Shipping $5.00

Shouldnt have a problem OCing.

[/B]:popupPage7('')]

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you have the money skip 754 and get a new 90nm s939 and an nf3 250 mobo.

754 is not worth upgrading to anymore unless you bought one awhile ago.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a scale of 1-10, how familiar would you say you are with computer hardware?

9-10... i build my computer and all of the ones in my family

On a scale of 1-10, how familiar would you say you are with the BIOS of a computer?

5-6... havent' really played around with it too much

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well to get that BIOS score more up there read the AMD overclocking guide and definately read the book that came with your motherboard they usually explain in depth what each function of the BIOS does and of course if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask anyone on this board, we're all very nice and will do our best to help

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
the thing is with the k8v the mobo book is very limited where overclocking is concerned .the mobo is also limited .why i changed mine . got al ot better reslts with a giga board

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well if you've purchased the cpu and mobo already, you'll either sell it, or live with it. I have the AMD64 3200+ (CH) and K8VSE Deluxe. Which version of the AMD64 3200+ did you get, Claw hammer core or newcastle? Well which ever you got, there is a thread in the mobo section of AMD with the correct settings I have figured out. If you have a decent HD (like a seagate barracuda), vid card, and ddr433 ram or higher. You should be able to duplicate my settings and get 200-300mhz+ over your non oc'd clock.

The thread with the settings is:

http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=4342

If I helped, rep me up

If your going to get a new mobo and cpu, I'd tell you to pick up a 939 and hold out for a nforce 4 mobo preferably the SLi , but wait till A03 version of the Nforce4 chipset is released, since up til A02 has problems with PCI-e and 5x HTT ie 1000mhz (only capable of doing 4x ie 800mhz currently)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just to update you guys...
i started some overclocking tonight for the first time...
i ran a n-bench3 benchmark on my computer before anything and scored 2500 points.... it clocked my 3200 at 2.198mhz

this is what i have done....

i went to the advanced properties in my asus motherboard and changed
cpu fsb frequency from 200 - 216
cpu speed was at 800 ( ithink that was cause of the cool and quiet) iput it at 2200mhz

the cpu voltage is at 1.4 v (havent' changed it.. not sure what to do)
ddr volt - auto (left it)
agp volt - 1.5v (left it)
v-link volt - 2.5v (left it)

any way.. with jsut that change i ran the benchmark again... computer went to 2.370mhz and scored 2730 on the benchmark.

temp is at 40 degrees (factory heatsink is on there)

so i'm wondering if i should push it a little more...
and if you guys can help me out and suggest anything more i can change in these settings to get even better performance.

thanks again

·
Registered
698 Posts
Push it a little more. But to be honest if you REALLY want to push it you need to move away from stock cooling. I suggest an xp-120 with a 108cfm Delta fan on it. With that I can get my Athlon 64 to 2.5 without it wincing. Though in my experence from other people on the forum they wont hit 2.6 at all 3200+s seem to just hate that speed.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
increasing voltages will have a direct effect on temperatures, and if they get too high (above about 50C) you need to back them off some, but feel free to play with them as you like as long as your load temps stay in the acceptable range

1 - 16 of 16 Posts