Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since AMD released the Raven Ridge APUs, I been wanting to do a budget build for less than $300 and some of the flash sales Newegg had recently I couldn't pass up. This build is at $312 after taxes but I bought 2 cases as they came with free MasterLiquid Lite 120, which I used one in my newphew's build of a 1400X, and was quite pleased with the thermals at 3.7GHz. So if anything you think can be swapped out or down graded let me know. Looking to build a 8GB APU 720p Gaming PC with the second case. This is going to be a strictly production/office level computer so gaming is a non issue and I have read Windows 10 runs well off 4GBs.

1 x Patriot Viper Elite 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4 2400MHz DRAM (Desktop Memory) CL16 1.2V Grey DIMM (288-pin) Extreme Performance Memory PVE44G240C6GY ($42.99)

1 x Silicon Power M55 M.2 2280 120GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SU120GBSS3M55M28NE ($42.99)

1 x EVGA 450 BT 100-BT-0450-K1 450W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Non-Modular Active PFC Power Supply ($24.99)

2 x MasterBox MB600L ATX Mid-Tower, Sleek Design with Red Side Trim and Acrylic Side Panel by Cooler Master ($99.98)

2 x MasterLiquid Lite 120 All-in-one CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump by Cooler Master ($79.99 - Free)

1 x AMD RYZEN 3 2200G Quad-Core 3.5 GHz (3.7 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 65W YD2200C5FBBOX Desktop Processor ($99.99)

1 x ASRock A320M-HDV AM4 AMD Promontory A320 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard ($39.99)

Total - $368.72 Shipped to door via Super EggSaver.

Edit - After looking at this its insane what we pay for performance. My 1700X was almost 4-5x as much and this computer does the same thing abeit at a slower pace. Kids just don't know how good they good now. I remember when the difference between a single core vs duo was life and death when you ran a AV scan. Time have changed......

·
Senior OCN Member
39,826 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lack of dual channel will harm performance on Ryzen.
Its a office/internet build. As long as it boots up and does it in less than 2 to 3 minutes and doesn't crash running AV, its a win in my book.
The PSU is cheap for a reason and that reason is its made by HEC which means its not very good

A CX550M is $35 with rebate on newegg so that would have been a much better choise
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139147&cm_re=CX550M-_-17-139-147-_-Product
Again as long as it doesn't blow out and take all my equipment with it is a win here. Plus I don't count rebates as a incentive to buy something. The moment that it is not honored or redeemed said value is lost.

Come on ppl. Throw performance and extended reliability out the window. Lets make something borderline sketchy but stable.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Senior OCN Member
39,826 Posts
Its still a PSU thats rated for for no more then 30c if it gets hotter then that which by the way is very easy OTP will shut the PSU off

On another note some of the EVGA B3 which are also made by RSY dont have a working OTP which means that in overload testing the PSU wont shut off and it fried itself
http://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/1638984-why-you-should-not-buy-evga-b3.html

RSY is not better then HEC in fact its worse because of the problems they have with getting their OTP to work

The PSU you picked is not very good to say the least and if you plan on having it in a small case or you live somewhere hot you might end up with the PSU shutting off if the OTP is working and if it does not it will fry itself

The CXM at least is rated for 40c which is not great but far less of a problem and its just a superior series overall

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will say this and then Im out. If EVGA is dumb or arrogant enough to put a 450w PSU that can't handle a 65w APU,1 stick of ram, M.2 drive, and sata drive, I will be the one of the first to sign up for the class action lawsuit or will see about getting it launched.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
I will say this and then Im out. If EVGA is dumb or arrogant enough to put a 450w PSU that can't handle a 65w APU,1 stick of ram, M.2 drive, and sata drive, I will be the one of the first to sign up for the class action lawsuit or will see about getting it launched.
I think you mistake what shilka is saying. If the power supply gets too hot, it will either shut itself off or potentially fail due to overheating. If you haven't done the math yourself, 30° C is 86° F. That is a very mild temperature, especially in terms of electronics. If your PSU is actively cooled so it never approaches that temperature, you should be fine. Compare that to the Cooler Master PSU rated for 40° C (104° F). You tell me which temperature is easier to hit, especially if fans fail. If the power supply fails, pray it doesn't take anything else with it.

If you're going for the cheapest office build possible, going with an R3 2200G is a poor choice. There's cheaper APUs for AM4. A Celeron processor would also accomplish the same thing for about half the price of the R3 2200G. If saving money was the ultimate goal, you wouldn't have your heart set on the R3 2200G.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you mistake what shilka is saying. If the power supply gets too hot, it will either shut itself off or potentially fail due to overheating. If you haven't done the math yourself, 30° C is 86° F. That is a very mild temperature, especially in terms of electronics. If your PSU is actively cooled so it never approaches that temperature, you should be fine. Compare that to the Cooler Master PSU rated for 40° C (104° F). You tell me which temperature is easier to hit, especially if fans fail. If the power supply fails, pray it doesn't take anything else with it.

If you're going for the cheapest office build possible, going with an R3 2200G is a poor choice. There's cheaper APUs for AM4. A Celeron processor would also accomplish the same thing for about half the price of the R3 2200G. If saving money was the ultimate goal, you wouldn't have your heart set on the R3 2200G.
I fully understand everything that is said but to say these low end power supplies have no place in any low end builds is ludicrous. I not taking Aprevia or Diablo here, had a Diablo go out in spectacular fashion. I have used several of these lower end EVGA and haven't had a single problem with any of them. Matter fact most if not all were FM2 builds and HDDs and I just had one in a FX build for over 2 years and passed it on to my nephew in his AM4 build with a RX 460. And also about using a R3, Im not looking to run a full system scan in 45 mins to a 1 hour as I have seen with the older APUs(maybe none SSD). The extra grunt from the Ryzen is not wasted and I would rather spend it there than on PSU that I would never push to its limits.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
I fully understand everything that is said but to say these low end power supplies have no place in any low end builds is ludicrous. I not taking Aprevia or Diablo here, had a Diablo go out in spectacular fashion. I have used several of these lower end EVGA and haven't had a single problem with any of them. Matter fact most if not all were FM2 builds and HDDs and I just had one in a FX build for over 2 years and passed it on to my nephew in his AM4 build with a RX 460. And also about using a R3, Im not looking to run a full system scan in 45 mins to a 1 hour as I have seen with the older APUs(maybe none SSD). The extra grunt from the Ryzen is not wasted and I would rather spend it there than on PSU that I would never push to its limits.
So you did not understand. EVGA doesn't make the power supplies. The fact the power supplies have EVGA badging is irrelevant. If you're confident the power supply will never reach 86° F, by all means go for it. Please be aware we aren't talking about load. We are talking about temperature. Higher load should mean higher temperatures, but high ambient will also lead to higher temperatures. I think you underestimate how easy it is for components to hit 86° F.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you did not understand. EVGA doesn't make the power supplies. The fact the power supplies have EVGA badging is irrelevant. If you're confident the power supply will never reach 86° F, by all means go for it. Please be aware we aren't talking about load. We are talking about temperature. Higher load should mean higher temperatures, but high ambient will also lead to higher temperatures. I think you underestimate how easy it is for components to hit 86° F.
Apparently you didn't read my previous posts. I even named the platform used by EVGA for this PSU. I know EVGA doesn't outright make a PSU. This one is sourced by RSY(I believe I even found the model it was based on but not 100% sure) and the others I used before were probably HEC as they were all older and guess what, still running. For my needs and where I live these units suit me just fine and probably will others.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I’ve seen a number of Team Group 120 GB 2.5” SSD’s go on sale for $30 on Newegg. It’s not m.2 form factor, but it is cheap.

Also, $99 on the case? You could cut from that pretty easily, unless it’s preowned. There’s a new Cooler Master mATX case that costs $40 on Newegg and looks to have respectable airflow. Link: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16811119331

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
I'm just amazed that you're spending $99 on a case but won't spend an extra $10-20 on a decent PSU.
edit: seems it was two cases

Even a "good" case from Fractal Design or Phanteks will cost $70-80 for MSRP. The cost savings can be put to a better PSU such as the CX550M that was ~$35 instead of $25. Now it's $60 and it's not worth the price of $60 though. You can actually buy a Seasonic Focus 450W for ~$50 and the Focus 550W as well.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve seen a number of Team Group 120 GB 2.5” SSD’s go on sale for $30 on Newegg. It’s not m.2 form factor, but it is cheap.

Also, $99 on the case? You could cut from that pretty easily, unless it’s preowned. There’s a new Cooler Master mATX case that costs $40 on Newegg and looks to have respectable airflow. Link: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16811119331
The cases were $50 a piece and included a free Cooler Master AIO 120mm with each one.

I'm just amazed that you're spending $99 on a case but won't spend an extra $10-20 on a decent PSU.
edit: seems it was two cases

Even a "good" case from Fractal Design or Phanteks will cost $70-80 for MSRP. The cost savings can be put to a better PSU such as the CX550M that was ~$35 instead of $25. Now it's $60 and it's not worth the price of $60 though. You can actually buy a Seasonic Focus 450W for ~$50 and the Focus 550W as well.
Why spend money on something that is not needed? I get what everyone is saying but why pay extra for something that never will be stressed especially without a gpu added to the case.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Windows runs well on 4gb but nothing else does really. Chrome or firefox will burn that up with a few tabs. I had to cut literally everything that comes with 10 out of it to get it down to reasonable ram use (how 7 was). With 4Gb it will use less than 1gb and with 16gb it uses less than 2gb, opening 4 tabs in firefox pushes to 3gb. A stock copy of windows will be much worse, if you only plan on having one thing open at a time it probably won't be an issue but it doesn't seem to be a very efficient way to use an office computer.
What does "production" mean exactly? This will only run MS Office or is there some piece of software you need to run?

If your goal is just to build the cheapest modern computer possible you could oddly enough go with Intel and cut the CPU cost in half to get more ram but it seems you want to use a 4 core Ryzen with single channel so more power to ya.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
You keep talking about stressing the PSU when no one else is talking about stressing the PSU.

I already mentioned cheaper AM4 CPUs exist. I didn't really want to bring up Celeron or Pentium as cheaper, and likely better, options for this application since the goal seems to be how to make the cheapest R3 2200G build and not the cheapest office PC build.

If AIO coolers were bundled with a case, that would actually deter me from buying it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Windows runs well on 4gb but nothing else does really. Chrome or firefox will burn that up with a few tabs. I had to cut literally everything that comes with 10 out of it to get it down to reasonable ram use (how 7 was). With 4Gb it will use less than 1gb and with 16gb it uses less than 2gb, opening 4 tabs in firefox pushes to 3gb. A stock copy of windows will be much worse, if you only plan on having one thing open at a time it probably won't be an issue but it doesn't seem to be a very efficient way to use an office computer.
What does "production" mean exactly? This will only run MS Office or is there some piece of software you need to run?

If your goal is just to build the cheapest modern computer possible you could oddly enough go with Intel and cut the CPU cost in half to get more ram but it seems you want to use a 4 core Ryzen with single channel so more power to ya.
Pretty much sums it up. I'm curious on how usable the system really is. I hear 10% hear and 15 % there but I can't find any actual real life data usage.

You keep talking about stressing the PSU when no one else is talking about stressing the PSU.

I already mentioned cheaper AM4 CPUs exist. I didn't really want to bring up Celeron or Pentium as cheaper, and likely better, options for this application since the goal seems to be how to make the cheapest R3 2200G build and not the cheapest office PC build.

If AIO coolers were bundled with a case, that would actually deter me from buying it.
Ive been using AMD for 20 years and only owned 1 Intel and plan on keeping it that way til I die.

That's the beauty of sales. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
No one is judging you for going AMD. We're judging you because what you say you want and what you're doing don't really like up with each other. That makes offering good advice difficult because you're not looking for outside opinions, you're seeking validation.

·
Slurpee Addict
394 Posts
Lack of dual channel will harm performance on Ryzen.

can always get another I was thinking of getting a single 8 gig stick myself to get myself up and running

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
can always get another I was thinking of getting a single 8 gig stick myself to get myself up and running
It's more of an issue on an APU than on a Ryzen CPU with a discrete GPU. Mind there's still a performance deficit, but it's more marked with APU's running a single stick of low frequency and/or loose RAM.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts