Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have moved from playstation 4 pro to computer. The computer is just to play games, 1/2h a day connected to my 4k HDR Tv.
I wanted something that could handle 4k ultra.

The last computer build I have made was 20 years ago, so I had to read a lot (probably not enough) before made the purchase and I have now this build:
Amd Ryzen 7 1700
MasterLiquid 120 Lite
GigaByte AB350 Gaming 3
2x8Gb Hyperx Predator hx432c16pb3k2/16
Kingston 500Gb SSD
GigaByte Aorus 1080Ti Xtreme Edition
Seasonic Focus+ 850w Platinum
Corsair 200R
+4 140mm Corsair fans.

I already have changed my motherboard two times.
First I have bought Asus Prime X370 Pro, but I could not boot with more than 2933mhz on my ram.
I have checked online and saw that ASRock X370 Gaming X have my memory on the compatibility list, so that was my second try. Despite that, with ASRock I could not boot with more then 3066mhz on the ram, no matter what ram voltage I use.

So I have checked the online reviews for the ram and they were using Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5.
On Gigabyte website I saw that my memory were on the compatbility list of AB350 Gaming 3, and because I am not going to connect many things on the board, I saved 40€ (from my previous two boards) and went to the AB350 Gaming 3.

With AB350 Gaming 3 I am able to set XMP Profile 1. The system doesn`t boot unless I use at least 1.38v in ram. With 1.38, the boot sometimes fails and enters in safe mode running the rams @ 2400mhz. Only if I set in bios 1.39v for ram, the system always boot fine.

That is my first question/problem, despite setting this voltage, I can see max voltage on CPUID HWMonitor 1,404 (will post some pictures in the end of the post) and sometimes 1,414. Will this be safe for my memory kit? I know I have a good airflow on my box but I don`t wan`t to toast them.

I was able to change the RAM @ 3200mhz to 16-16-16-16-35-74-1T and it`s working fine and doesn`t fail on stress test. The XMP profile 1 was 3200mhz 16-18-18-18-36-74-1T.

Regarding my ryzen 7, I am now using, 3825mhz with Dynamic Vcore +0,084 and Dynamic Vcore SOC +0,180.
The system runs stable, I can run Aida64 CPU and FPU stress test and Cinebench R15 with no problem.
Cinebench score 1697.

The temperatures running Aida64 stress test doesn`t pass the 60ºC (Aida64 reading) for 30 minutes test.

Now my second question, looking at Aida64 temperatures, it looks like that TMPIN 2 (motherboard cpu reading?), instead of AMD Ryzen temperature (according to CPUID HWMonitor). That also happens in other hardware information software. There is always 10ºC diference. What temperatures should I look at? At what temperatures should I be worried?

Playing one hour PUBG, TMPIN2 MAX was 48ºC, and AMD Ryzen 58ºC.

Regarding VRM temperatures, with this OC the max I have reached is 81ºC (TMPIN5) running stress test. At what temperatures should I be worried?

The last question, whit my build and the temperatures I am reaching now, do I have room to increase the ryzen OC or should I stay like it is now? I already tested 3900 but it looks like it needs lot`s of vcore to run.

Sorry about my poor English.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
There is a build in offset for some reason in the BIOS for "TPMIN2"(different name in different software) that is just exactly -10C if using Ryzen 1700 on Gaming 3. It's always -10C in the newer bios to cpu core.
I don't know why they implemented it but i's there and is "as it should be".

It wasn't there in the first BIOS iterations. So unless you want to go back to F3-F4 bios you have to make do with it knowing it's -10C on that readout to cpu core. If the software allows you can place a offset on the readout.
HWINFO64 i use and have placed a +10 value offset for it to report the correct value when using that software.

Basically the value should be the same as the cpu core temperature if it wasn't for the -10C offset. Most software I see read this value as "CPU temperature" and so you have a value that is -10C too cool unless you can place your own offset on the readout.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have returned my Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 and switch to Asus prime X370 Pro.
The temperatures were too high on Gaming 3, also the same for the voltages needed to overclock.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
How much better does the Asus board run in the voltage department and other differences for the better?

So we can see some differences on your experience.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthog View Post

How much better does the Asus board run in the voltage department and other differences for the better?

So we can see some differences on your experience.
Hello,

Main diferences for me.
- In Gigabyte i had to use ram voltage @ 1.39v and soc @ 1.1v to boot @3200mhz. But 1.39 in bios was setting in real 1.40V. In Asus I just need 1.35v in ram and 0,95v in soc.
- In Gigabyte to get 3.9ghz stable the voltage was reaching 1.45v. In Asus I just need 1.308v.
- In GIgabyte temperatures were much higher, VRM was reaching 90ºC @ 3.9ghz. In Asus i get 40ºC +/-. All the temps are lower, that also influence the cpu/gpu temp and fans speed.
- Gigabyte have much better Qfan Control. In Asus I only can set 3 steps. Missing Gigabyte here.
- With same speeds set @ bios for cpu and ram, Gigabyte was getting better benchmarks results, just small diference.

The diference in benchamarks results, I beleive it`s just some settings I am missing in bios, cpu or ram related but to tell you the truth, I am not worried about.

I am trying to reach 4.0ghz stable now with ASUS. With Gigabyte it was not possible because of voltage and temps I were getting. Now @4.0ghz with ASUS running OCCT CPU for 30m, max temp is 63ºC. You can see in the photos I have on the first post of this thread that I was reaching 69ºC on Gigabyte with 3825mhz.

I am happy with the exchange.

Best regards,
Valter

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now i know why my benchmarks results were worse with Asus Prime X370 Prime... One of my dim modules were not properly inserted lol. Noooooooo! I was running with 8gb instead of 16gb with ddr.
Now I get better results with Asus. but nothing big.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts